Arab bloodlines

"The Kehilan strain was noted for depth of chest, masculine power and size. The average pure in strain Kehilan stood up to 15 hands. Their heads were short with broad foreheads and great width in the jowls. Most common colors were gray and chestnut." - that doesn't sound like my mare. lol! Must take after her mothers build. Miska sounds more like a seglawi. "The Seglawi was known for refinement and almost feminine elegance"

Do you have the stud books? and if you do what does it say of each of the horses? (have never seen a stud book)

Thanks very much by the way for answering all my questions and being patient. I find it so fascinating.

There is also too much emphasis placed on 'strain' and 'type'! If you think about it, the Bedouins live in tribes in the desert, they had a relatively small herd of horses with which to breed from. So they tended to breed in families - line breeding, not as close as in-breeding. So over time the horses get to resemble each other, hence the fact that a lot of Crabbet Arabs are either tall and chestnut or small and chestnut, take the pedigree back as far as you go and you can see the line and in-breeding that the Blunts did to fix a type as their pure foundation lines were relatively small, the best ones being from the Stud of Abbas Pasha.

I do not have the Stud books, I use a lot of on-line resources such as allbreed and I also have a lot of books at home, my best one is The Arab Horse Families of Great Britain 1875-1973 by Dr Pezi Gazder, mine is an autographed copy. I have been an AHS member for 20 years (gulp) so have all the AHS News to use for reference.

Anytime you want to know anything Arab or pedigree related you can PM me. I no longer have Arabs but I have owned Arabs and shown them for many years. If I could find an Arab like my old one, then maybe I could be persuaded.
My best girl:
http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/asoka+azara

She was an Al Krushieh and 15.2 fleabitten grey.

Pedigrees and bloodlines are fascinating - I love it.

Well im going to the south east arab competition later in April. Will have a look out for your mare's progeny as well as my mares relatives! Unfortuantly I haven't ever really seen any of Rabidans other progeny or Shenkha's....

A Zaab Fan

Hi Hayley,

My name is Rhiannon and I'm 26, I used to live in Kent near Hartlip but now live in Sussex. I sadly have no horses in my life at the moment as I run a hotel but plan to start riding again once my business is established. I stumbled across you in the forums. I used to lunge Zaab daily for Sue Boundy I am guessing just before you bought him. He was being broken to ride at the time and unfortunalty I never got the chance to ride him. I was looking to take him on loan but my circumstances changed and I had to walk away. He is such a lovely horse, very trusting and loving. I am so glad he found you, you look perfect together. I have photos of him as a foal and older, I was given by Sue. I could scan them and send them to you. Sorry if I sound a little freaky. I just wanted to touch base with you and say how gorgeous he is.
Zaab Fan

Hi, do you know the whereabouts of Canto now? He is the sire of my arab mare, Jessicah. Just trying to get some family history on her!
Thanks, Diana

I've played with a few of these Babson Arabians in the past. A couple of years ago I tried to get a friend interested in a filly they had. I had some connections at her farm and she was offered to me at a very reasonable price. I really liked her but she ended up elsewhere since the friend didn't understand what I was talking about. I didn't know much about the breeding, just that is was very well thought of. I just liked the horses.

http://www.angelfire.com/oh2/bridgewood/bridgewood_farm_001.htm

Have fun, be safe

Jack

My last Arab, a seal bay mare Arami (Bay Aramis x Doosti) was Babson CMK lines. She was very, very typey but strong and lived out on thin air.

we breed arabians and part breds. i'm a bit of an anorak when it comes to bloodlines but don't take it as gosple. what i have noticed is that every horse i like has crabbet blood in large amounts. you can't go far wrong using a crabbet basis for breeding horses that will go all day.

we have a mainly crabbet band with a polish/egyptian outcross that tends towards the marawan and white lightning lines or grojec. however, i also lean towards the russian horses these days as well though we don't have any at the mo.

good luck with your plans.

suzanne

My girlie is part crabbet and part russian. I believe her English bloodlines have given her a bit more bone - I'm not too keen on the really fine arabs - but she has inherited her face and movement from her russian relatives.

Her grandfather is Padron, which is a fact I'm rather proud of. Her grandma on that side is also rather famous, being the dam of the US stallion Nariadni.

lucky dip breeding

line breeding and inbreeding can fix a type,faults and virtues.Ansata line bred by doing the sire of the sire should be the sire of the grandam on the dams side.Most modern day show arabs are not inbred or line bred ,have they improved?.Winners to winners,where perhaps all the ancestors are of different types is lucky dip breeding.A stallion that is linebred or better still inbred is far more likely to produce his genotype and offspring out of a similiar mould.you must really know the background of your stock.Human inbreeding is not usually planned.I do not like the overdished heads,they look overshot.I cant stand the movement of some top winning arabs,they look like an ostrich riding a bicycle.Remember how mikeno stock moved?.rusleem can move,he is inbred.Abu farwa lines in america would be good,crabbet background,they used to use them as cow ponies but they are very beautiful

newrider.com