Are all horsey people mad?

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
My non horsey friends (if I have any left) think I am as mad as a hatter. I am currently getting up at 5am to muck out, and then am grass walking for hours in the pouring rain and freezing cold. They think I am crazy.

So are we all crazy? I think that we probably are! Do your non horsey friends think of you as the 'crazy horse lady'?

My family thinks I am bonkers, that and they don't understand why I can't just leave the horses to get on with it and go visit for a weekend. My mum had no idea (even after 35 years of enabling my habit!) that I poo picked every day, or what that entailed, until I was injured/on crutches and had to ask her to come and push the wheel barrow for me, she huffed and puffed and thought 1 barrow was about a weeks worth :p I don't have very many non-horsey friends now days.

Reactions: Mary Poppins
I missed a 'wine night' with my non horsey friends last night and I think they thought that I was making excuses. I told them that my horse wasn't drinking so vet recommended he needs to eat as much grass as possible to get water into him. I therefore was walking him for an hour at 9pm till 10pm, and they just didn't get it. What am I supposed to do? Leave him to die of dehydration! I actually think that I have gone slightly mad, at the very least I am very sleep deprived!

I missed a 'wine night' with my non horsey friends last night and I think they thought that I was making excuses. I told them that my horse wasn't drinking so vet recommended he needs to eat as much grass as possible to get water into him. I therefore was walking him for an hour at 9pm till 10pm, and they just didn't get it. What am I supposed to do? Leave him to die of dehydration! I actually think that I have gone slightly mad, at the very least I am very sleep deprived!
I understand it, been there and done it myself, but do take care of yourself, if you end up too exhausted you are then no help to Ben at all. Could he not stay out in his little paddock for longer? given the 'box rest' is to restrict movement and its not exactly a lot bigger anyway, at least then he can nibble all day :)

Reactions: Mary Poppins
I understand it, been there and done it myself, but do take care of yourself, if you end up too exhausted you are then no help to Ben at all. Could he not stay out in his little paddock for longer? given the 'box rest' is to restrict movement and its not exactly a lot bigger anyway, at least then he can nibble all day :)

Not really because the fencing isn't very secure and he has been known to destroy temporary fencing. I am surprised he hasn't already done this! I turn him out in the morning and the yard staff need to bring him in before they go to lunch. They leave the yard at lunchtime and I don't want him to be out with the terrible fencing if there is no-one on site to notice if he has escaped. At least it is nearly the weekend so hopefully I can catch up on some sleep. It is exactly one week (to the hour) until the vet comes back. Oh how I hope he can go out in his normal field from next Friday....

Reactions: Jessey
I only really have one friend who isn't horsey, but to be fair she does understand. Our older friends from our past life have long since given up on us. I think we just drifted apart due to them not understanding why we didn't find a dinner and all night drinking session appealing! I kept telling them we had to be up early for ghe horses and that we ENJOYED it but they just did not get it. Therefore we rarely see them. I think there could have been a balance at one point and we did offer to do dinner and then the next time have them come and do someing horsey but they declined.o_O:rolleyes:
Our horses are our life really. That is why I catch four planes in 24 hours just so I can fly south see parents and dentist and be back quickly having only spent one night away. Two nights is pushing it!!!

I suspect I must be, I did question myself last weekend in gales and rain stood in muddy field with pony backs to the weather waiting for the farrier whether at 64 its time to think again!

it will all change come summer when the pleasure bit kicks in.

I'm sure people think I am mad :D
When I tell people I see Sox every day their like you go EVERY day!!??
Yes:D
They ask me how I work it with my job I just say go before and after work. Apparently that' commitment:D

The next person who asks if I check her everyday I will say no Alexa does it. :D

It puzzles me that they think an animal can be left to its own devices in a field and the food angel puts the hay out. The poop angel clears up after it and it puts itself on that treadmill. :p

Lol you all make me laugh as I have the same conversation daily. Yes every day. Yes twice a day. Yes I ride nearly everyday. Oh I have a indoor school.

Worse than a child err no when my boys are bad I put them in a field and leave them oh as yes I can leave from six to six on their own and they are fine can you do that with your child.

When I’m ill yes I still deal with them but then I go home to bed no children to bother me lol

Reactions: Jessey
I am fortunate I guess that most all of my family are also horsey sorts - or were even if no longer practising their religion so nothing I continue to do horse wise really makes much of an impact on them. I also have a wide circle of horsey friends, who also either still practice the art or once did. However the non horsey ones look like I am from another planet when it comes up in conversation that yes, I do still have my own horse and a couple of donks, and yes I do still look after them myself, and yes I do still ride lol! I am guessing to them I look so old and decrepit they cant even imagine me walking across a field never mind all the rest that goes with this life long life style! :rolleyes::p

I think maybe because having a dog or a cat is in the house. The child is in the house they reach for a tin or packet.
The idea of getting up in the the dark, AND going outside in the cold, the wet and the wind to a field with a torch just doesn't appeal.

Mostly it is just a lack of understanding. I have a very horsey friend who lives in Wales (she has 8 on her 22 acre smallholding, hence the word "very" :p). Her OH is passionate about cows (he's a stockman, milker and qualified cow trimmer) and regular posts photos of cows on FB. I'm not a huge fan of cows, I find then a little intimidating, to be honest, (except for Highlands - even though they have horns, they're adorable!)) One day when I saw the most recent pics he had posted I thought "Gosh, who would love a cow?" Why does he post all those pics of COWS???" Then I realised I was guilty of EXACTLY the same thing...but with horses!!! :D

If someone non - horsey tells me I'm mad, I ask them what their hobby is, what they enjoy. Sometimes I can empathise, sometimes I also think they're mad. My BIL had just started rock-climbing :eek: He also likes skate-boarding and snow-boarding. Now to me, those ARE mad!!!

If we were all the same, the world would be a boring place. My mum was jealous of my horses. My kids don't understand. I don't care! :cool:

Reactions: mystiquemalaika
Non of my family are horsey and have often said your mad but i know that anyway :rolleyes: as time as gone on thuugh they have realised that my animals just make me happy and its that i much prefer animals to most people and its really that simple. I live and work on an estate and my main job is horses, help with pigs and sheep amongst other things, the lads know what im like with my animals and they all say im mad but they know thats just me :p
People tend to think im more mad with Tigger my pet sheep, i swear he is the love of my life and he comes home and in the car and out for walks, has his own stable and doesnt know he is a sheep and it is no secret to anyone that i worship the ground he walks on :D
As Domane says we all have our hobbies, loves, passions etc and it would be a very boring world if we werent all different :)

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
newrider.com