Are bananas bad for horses?

kirstie

Dec 6, 2005
North East
Might sound like a strange question but i've been giving amba at least one banana a day and she just loves them:D . But i've never seen anybody else feed bananas to their horses so is it alright for them?

Both mine love bananas, only 1 a week though. Not many of the others on the yard like them though.

Libbyo :)

hey
i once read in an artical somewhere but cant remember where but it was about feeding bannanas to horses and it said that they feed the olimpic horses bannanas because it was good for them.
so i dont think it will do any harm
lozzie and pinnx
ps pins loves bannanas but i dont really feed them to her because they squish 2 easily in my bag lol:p

I think in some countries they are fed to horses in bulk with no ill effects. Flora used to love them. I had to buy organic ones in the end because she went mad for the skins! Then suddenly she decided she didn't like them anymore, she also did this with Pears :rolleyes:

Bill has been eating bananas since he was about 2, he loves them, and the Vet said wouldn't harm him. He is 11 next month. Thug eats the skins so no waste!

Bananas are fine for horses to eat. I remember once, my favourite RS horse was really low on potassium. So would try and feed him as many bananas as possible, but he absolutely hated them. We worked out tricks on how to feed him the banana, like giving him a bite of a carrot and when he went for the carrot for the second bite, we would switch it quickly for the carrot:D

they are fine for horses, but i HATE them :p you'll have to get someone else to feed amba them on my days i cant bear to touch them :rolleyes:

My instructor ate a banana and then gave the skin to the mare to eat. Solution to the rubbish problem?

Bananas are one food that my horses will never see let alone eat! I ate the slimy yukky yellowy gunky ewwy messy strange shaped ... bananas!

so are banana peelings ok? i only give amba the middle part and put the peelings in the bin which annoys amba! :p

ponylover/vickie = they not that bad! :D ;)

Interesting. Loving these food threads. Giving me extra knowledge.:D

Most of our lot like a banana, or just the skin, only occasionally though, Piggy eats the lot, sticker and all!

I read an article in my my recent "Horse" mag that said some horses actually prefer bananas to apples ! But no they are not harmful or bad for horses.

What about the actual orange though? So orange peel is ok, ill start saving that for mine, but what about the actual orange itself?

newrider.com