• Keep using dress boots

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Sell and get paddock boots

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Anna Horse

Nov 12, 2016
I'm an equestrian beginner. I've just bought a pair of tall boots and realized they are actually dress boots. I read some websites saying paddock boots are suggested for beginners and dress boots are for those who competing. I'm now concerning, is it too much for a starter to wear such professional dress boots? So I'm struggling at whether I should keep using them or sell them to get short ones.

Are they comfortable? If yes then wear them. I wear what is comfortable, it's purpose doesn't really matter.
I have a pair of fawn breeches "meant" for competitions, I hack in them, who cares I like them.

I wouldnt believe everything you read online either.

Jodphur boots are best to start with as they give your leg/ankle/foot flexibility. If you are a beginner, then wearing great big straight boots that keep your leg in one position can be very unhelpful to you and the horse. If you grip up, when you are riding, then things can go from bad to horrible very quickly.

Personally, I would put them in the cupboard for posh and buy a cheap pair of jodphur (short) boots for learning in.

We have a saying here "all the gear and no idea".

Jodphur boots are best to start with as they give your leg/ankle/foot flexibility. If you are a beginner, then wearing great big straight boots that keep your leg in one position can be very unhelpful to you and the horse. If you grip up, when you are riding, then things can go from bad to horrible very quickly.

Personally, I would put them in the cupboard for posh and buy a cheap pair of jodphur (short) boots for learning in.

We have a saying here "all the gear and no idea".

What do you mean by big straight boots? What I got are they, if I should continue beginner with them?View media item 25003

Are they comfortable? If yes then wear them. I wear what is comfortable, it's purpose doesn't really matter.
I have a pair of fawn breeches "meant" for competitions, I hack in them, who cares I like them.

Are you beginners as well? The below are what I got. I don't feel them uncomfortable. Just concerning of people(or the riding school instructors) will have things to say when a beginner dress up with competing boots.

This, 100%.

The main reason I'd say not to get dress/long boots until you've ridden more is the expense, it's a lot of money if you decide 6 months in that you don't want to carry on. But since you've got them look after them & use them :)

Reactions: Trewsers
Both the above have tons of experience :) and I agree with both, I wouldnt worry too much what instructors think but tall boots can be very stiff in the ankle, a new pair can hinder an experienced rider until they soften and for a new rider could make it very difficult to learn a good heels down position, its not exactly the most natural position for your leg to be in :) though once you get used to it anything else feels strange :p
Could you pop along to your intended school and watch a lesson and ask what they reccomend?

I can't see a picture of them, Have you got a picture of what they look like?

I agree with the others, If they are comfy and modern boots have a lot more flexibility that the old fashioned long boots, then wear them. Old fashioned long boots used to be like wearing leg casts. I have some modern long boots, (that I never wear) that are very flexible in the ankle..

Yes if they are comfy then keep them. Like Newforest I has beige breeches allegedly for competing in, but they were super comfy so I hacked and schooled at home in them, they never went near a showring!

Are you beginners as well? The below are what I got. I don't feel them uncomfortable. Just concerning of people(or the riding school instructors) will have things to say when a beginner dress up with competing boots.
Some people will have something to say regardless. I tend to ignore those.
I can't see a photo :)

When I learnt to ride I had those awful thick long rubber boots which did me no favours. :) If you had chosen them I would be saying sell on, get something else. Assuming they still get made, probably thinner.

This answer depends entirely on the boots. The point of starting in short boots (apart from them being cheaper) is that with short boots and half chaps or jodpurs one's ankles are flexible. But in more expensive dressage boots the leather is very fine and soft and your ankles are totally flexible too. And since dressage boots are finer up the inside of the leg, you get a much better feel of the horse and its movement than you will in half chaps.

Since I bought good dressage boots , I wear them almost every time I ride as they are so much better for riding.

But a thin boot with a smooth sole is not good for other things one may need to do round horses before and after riding - The soles of the boots may be slippery in a field or on wet ground and they are too thin to protect one's feet while grooming, in case the horse should step on one's foot or toes. I fetched Grace in - caught her and groomed her the other day immediately after riding another horse. I was asked to, and wanted to but had no work boots with me. And always at the back of one's mind one knows one is taking a risk.

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
Wear whatever you are comfortable in :)

I personally ride in short boots & gaitors, just because I prefer them to long boots.

But I tend to do a lot of my yard jobs too in my riding boots, unless it's particularly muddy. I don't wear steel toe capped boots, so it's going to hurt if a horse treads on my toes in wellingtons or short riding boots!

Have fun learning to ride :)

I don't think that an instructor would look twice at the boots you are wearing. Just wear what you are comfortable in and what you like. I prefer to ride in my Arriat Grasmeres, but then compete in my Mountain Horse competition boots. I doubt my riding instructor would ever register the different boots I am wearing.

newrider.com