Are there really any differences in the temperament of the UK native breeds?

Joyscarer

Dec 30, 2006
Hampshire
I only ask because many of the things I see written about the characteristics of other native can equally be applied to my sec d.

So what do you think?

Is one breed definately more prone to being a diva breed? Is one more easy going? Is one more intelligent? Does one make a better kiddies mount? One more staeady? One more spooky? One more willfull? One more loyal? etc etc...

hmmmm dont know but ever welsh ive ever met has been a nutter....and most new forests seem to have a screw loose too lol

and shetlands are just terrorists.

Mmmmm - well Ive had a few sec Ds that have all had rather 'interesting' personalities to say the least. Shetlands have for the most part been cheeky little devils but also escape artists. Never had a newforest but did have a dartmoor as a child and that was a poppet. Think there is good and bad in all of them probably - bit like dog breeds.

I have Highlands and a Welsh D mare. I would say they are quite different. I love my Welsh D but she is definitely not a Highland! They are much calmer and less reactive than she is.

I think all natives are intelligent a trait used for both good and bad.

Our Eriskay seems to be typical of the breed. He is very people orientated and will spend hours leaning on you, drooling down your neck, nudging you when you are poo picking etc. He loves a cuddle and a scratch.

He is a star to ride and is solid as a rock - the most he will do is stop and stare. However, he can be a complete a*se on the ground and needs very firm consistant handling or he will walk all over you.

I've not encountered another breed like this although my experience isn't that wide so maybe he's not that special.

I love him dearly regardless though :D

I like natives and in the past i have had a few, i think Fells are as described,sure footed,hardy, with active trot good weight carrier and great on the whole for giving confidence. We have had Shetlands and there good kids ponies if well handled and make excellent driving ponies but can be stubborn and great at escaping :( and the welshies i have had or know of vary from well schooled,well behaved to complete crack pots who spook at everything.I have always wanted a highland but never had one i love there looks,stregth,size, weight carrying ability, and on the whole there sensible nature :D:D:D

See I had a shetland that was the most chilled out, sensible thing in the world! Perfect for kids on a lead rein although did have a tendancy to run off once off the lead rein...

newrider.com