Are you meant to fit in this?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
This is a Mongolian saddle- copied from the book I am currently reading.
'around the sacred sea' on horseback.

It almost looks to be on the lines of the sawbuck design with a seat on top. Not much room is there!
I love the stirrups, why can't the English designs be more like these. My wide tread ones are so comfortable and your heel sort of drapes.
Latigo strings for hitting flies possibly?

PicsArt_08-26-12.37.00.jpg

I always think mongols look very perched when riding, you can understand why.
As far as a know latigo strings are universally used for tieing things to the saddle rather than fly swatting, you wouldn't get many flys at those elevations anyway.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
Hahahaaaa yeah wedge me in lol
Quite novel.....hmm. This could start a trend, patented safey saddle, keep calm and stay wedged!!!!!:p:D
Tis a jolly colour too.

@newforest does the book go into detail about how they treated their horses on a daily basis etc? OH read one and it was quite fascinating. From what I remember they often had to drink their blood when food supplies ran out, they'd nick a leg (I think). They also made a yoghurt cheese type thing under their saddles. Not sure if I'd have fancied something I'd sat on all day:eek::p

My tall, slim friend got a Bob marshal treeless a few years ago, I just hopped on to see how it felt, short chubby me got stuck wedged in the bloody thing, couldn't reach the stirrups to lift myself and couldn't swing out because of the horn, gave everyone at the show a good laugh :D
_20180826_120049.JPG

My tall, slim friend got a Bob marshal treeless a few years ago, I just hopped on to see how it felt, short chubby me got stuck wedged in the bloody thing, couldn't reach the stirrups to lift myself and couldn't swing out because of the horn, gave everyone at the show a good laugh :D
View attachment 94686
Darn where's the photo. Not that I needed one. It's given me a giggle without.

The group are using western saddles I think. It says compact, lightweight versions of the traditional pommelled American cowboy design.

Reactions: Jessey
@newforest does the book go into detail about how they treated their horses on a daily basis etc? OH read one and it was quite fascinating. From what I remember they often had to drink their blood when food supplies ran out, they'd nick a leg (I think). They also made a yoghurt cheese type thing under their saddles. Not sure if I'd have fancied something I'd sat on all day:eek::p
They have four months ahead of them so will let you know.
Just had fat sweetened tea.
The horses have just spend the winter on. The Steppe and the hip bones stuck out like tail fins. Heads look too big for their bodies and ribby. Probably our condition score of 1 at a guess and they have just thrown a saddle on 'that fits'
Different world isn't it. I would want to build them up first.

I would hate that saddle, you must feel very distant from your horse, it must be a completely different way of riding. Presumably they're made to suit the smaller male pelvis. Would think a man could do himself a mischief if he wasn't careful getting on and off though :p

The stirrups look a bit like the Icelandic ones don’t they?
Not sure I’d fancy that saddle either but hey I guess if you grew up with it you wouldn’t know anything else.

Reactions: Trewsers
This book is very interesting.
The diet looks to be fish, rice, mutton and noodles in the evenings. Yoghurt or dried yoghurt for breakfast.

They seem to have a bizarre way of shoeing, but we probably do bizarre things here in their eyes- if they know about it.
I have flicked the photos but not got there yet, it's near the end of the book.

Ha ha.
Well just read a bit about a horse with a cough. They gave it a few things in with alcohol. It was very lively the next day by the cough had gone.
No- not giving mine a tincture like that.

As kids, my mum always used to bring our sick little pets, gerbils, hamsters etc, round with a drop of brandy. It nearly always did the trick. I was talking to my YO about it the other day and her mum used to do the same - maybe it was a generational thing. Rescue Remedy used to be almost 100% neat brandy - I'm pretty sure they've changed it now :p

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com