ARE YOU SERIOUS? hands-up who has done this..

fairlady

Jul 14, 2007
Bristol
:bounce:

OK, so along with my new Western 'BLING' saddle came a few fitting problems
i.e. I didn't have a 'bloomin'' CLUE:bounce:

I had some great advice on here but decided to venture into the world
of Western a little further and joined an American Western Forum, which
to be honest has been great for advice but also :eek: at 'some' of the
things I have read.

Today I was GOBSMACKED to find a post asking 'HOW DO I DYE MY HORSES
LEGS' and venturing into the Post, thinking it was half a 'joke' I find it
was a serious question and this person wanted to dye her Horses White
Socks BLACK:bounce:

One person on there admits to changing the colour of her WHOLE HORSE
using Hair Dye, and there were loads of answers about 'how to do it' and I came to the conclusion its
something that quite a few people DO, lol.

So, come on, OWN UP, anybody 'changed the colour' of their Horse or any
part of:bounce:

Last edited:
No I haven't, but looking at the state of my grey this morning I am wondering it it would be better to dye her brown over winter!

Ummm - does accidentally dying the white bits pink count? I rugged Puz for a show in a red sheet and she must have sweated overnight and all the white bits under the rug were bright pink!!!!!

:-O

I have heard of people adding 'extensions' to a mane/tail for the Show Ring
lol, but never met anybody who 'dyed' or 'admits' to dying their Horse or parts thereof, honestly I cannot stop :giggle:

Good heavens, people really dye their horses' hair??

Can you only imagine how awful it would be if it went wrong, which I'm guessing is not hard.... the damage it can cause human hair is one thing but a horse. I can't imgine why anybody would seriously actually do that. Surely the risks are far too great? :unsure:

My sister has a black cocker spaniel and he's getting on a bit now and has started to go really grey, my brother in law hates seeing him grey so everytime he's gone for a trim my brother in law dyes him black!

Rather extreme but the dog doesn't seem any worse for wear!

I accidentally dyed Izzy with a homemade fly spray (got the recipe off here):bounce:

The recipe was based on very strong tea and I didn't even think of how his lovely white patches would be stained. He looked like I had dipped him in a very large cup of tea. Poor boy.:giggle:

I gave my fly spray to someone with a bay horse!

Can't imagine doing it on purpose though.

I always threaten my Grey when he comes in filthy that I am going to dye him with "Just for Men, guaranteed to get rid of the Grey" :giggle::giggle:

Now I'm seriously wondering how many bottles it would take!

On a similar subject, I know of an Arab stallion who had been partway through his "whitening" shampoo when they called his in-hand class. With no time for the rinse, he had to go into his class wearing his purple shampoo, and of course when he sweated up, it frothed. Quite a lot :giggle:

Oh!!! Must have been a sight.

Oh it was.....poss the most stressful show day!!!!

My sister passed my friend who was walking down the road to come and give me a hand (unaware of the disaster) friend asked "how's she getting on?" sister replied "Puzzle pink, Jen currently dying her blue to get pink out, you need to get there quick before she kills the next person who asks her if she meant to dye her pink!"

Oh I look back and laugh!

I've seen posts about dying parts of horses as well! And ones asking about dying tails...

I suppose you could use henna which wouldn't have any chemicals in it...

Err... well I've been guilty of adding coat-coloured make-up to cover a horse's scar for a halter class and some gloss highlighter for same - oh and yes a nice fake tail on my last horse. And chalk on his stockings. But no - not a full-on horse dye...

I used to dye Biancos (Sec A - grey pony) tail pink and lilac when my pals wee girl took her out to wee shows. She was very very popular with the wee kids:D

I'm a dog groomer and fortunately dying dogs isnt popular here but by god you should see it in America:eek:
poodles_1442062i.jpg

MutantNinjaPoodle_450x400.jpg

dyed-poodle-7.jpg

A lot of the black show poodles in this country are dyed with Nice and Easy. Its one of these well kept secrets:rolleyes:

newrider.com