Arena Events

Magbag

Aug 24, 2007
Scotland
Hi Folks

I am thinking about doing an arena event but don't what to expect or how they are run.

We would be doing the following class :
Class 1 INTRO
Dressage Test 100;
Fences not exceeding 90cm, Speed S.J. 325mpm: X.C. 350mpm.

Any help much appreciated. I was going to go and watch one before i went, but can't find one to go and watch :(

Hello,

I've never taken part myself (pesky show jumps were always that little bit too hight for my girl!!) however, I have helped out with some the ones ran here in Scotland by Les Smith......mainly timing!!

My part was to start the SJ round, start timing as soon as you pass the SJ start marker, someone else keeps track of any fences down etc, then I stopped the timer once the horse passes through the SJ finish markers. You have a few seconds to compose yourself and then (I think) whistle goes again and the timer starts up again once you pass through the XC phase start marker and stops again after the finish marker. Time is noted for final placings, I think time faults, fence faults and dressage score as with normal BE rules.

Dressage test is a BE one and I think you can download it from their website.

The SJ course is as you would expect, mix of uprights, parallels and fillers etc, the XC course is generally working hunter style fences set up as a XC course, so you can have a corner, you can get fillers with lots of greenery, if outside perhaps things up or downhills, I think DABBS has a sunken road sort of thing, but everything is knock down. Most of the Arena Events here are on a surface and can be indoors, one in Dalkeith is on grass and I think that is the last in the series before the BE events start up again. Fences are inviting for the level you are at, but they are generally up to hight and the time is usually a placing factor. The idea is to help get the eventers up and running again after the winter break!

Clothing-wise, normal gear for dressage, and regular SJ things for jumping, horse clothing rules as per BE I believe. Once you have entered you get a time for your dressage and one for the jumping phases.

Check out Scottish Equestrian Association website as Les is contactable through that, providing you are up here in the windy North! I think the 2008 series starts in Feb but you should be able to find out from the website.

Can't think of anything else!! As I say, we really worked towards doing one, but my girl would have good days SJ and then we would have a bad day, so we decided to just charge about on XC courses instead! I really enjoy watching them though and when my old wifie finally retires (yeeeears from now obviously) my new neddie and I will have a bash at it!

If you have any questions I could email them onto Les for you if you PM'd me!

Enjoy!

Treen

Last edited:
Thanks Treen

I was hoping to get to the one in Dalkeith and maybe the one at SNEC . I have just joined S.E.A so will get an entry off when i get a membership number.

Thanks for the help, i just did not have a clue how they were run...lol

Will give it a go at least it will get us out and doing something :)

Thanks again

Mags

newrider.com