Arghhh - weight gain!

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
I was a slim child, a fat teenager and young adult and then I discovered triathlon! Weight came off easily and over the next 20 years I combined triathlon and ultra running (distances above a marathon) Daisy was my ultra running doggy companion! Just over a year ago I stopped running due to chronic over-use injuries and focused fully on the horses. At today's annual doggy health check the vet told me Daisy has put on 5 KILOS in one year. I checked myself and so have I!! Amazing how it can creep up so slowly that it is barely even noticeable til you suddenly take a long hard look at yourself. And your dog. I can't go back to long distance running with Daisy but I need to increase the length of her walks and we are now both on a diet! Oops :oops:

Easily done! You could try "power-walking" for 30 mins a day. Walk fast enough that you feel a bit puffed. It deffo works.... I lost nearly a stone before Crimbo. Then Jack trod on my toe so I had to stop. In fact, I must get back into it now. Toe finally healed!

I feel your pain! Our collie is elderly, arthritic and kept going by drugs. I can't up her exercise too much or she gets limpy. She's not fully sound anywhere so it can be hip, shoulder or her old surgery leg. She's just about OK weight wise as the vets are happy as long as she doesn't go over 19kg. Walks have been getting a bit shorter over time for her sake.

I have been getting heftier over the same period. Sad times involving putting mum into a care home and then selling her house (without telling her- she has Alzheimer's) have taken their toll and I have been comfort eating in an almost driven way. I'm not riding at all at the moment as I'm so ashamed of my weight. I wouldn't put me on a horse! I do play badminton and table tennis, but have noticed I'm getting slower across the court. Stuck in a bit of a rut and can't find the motivation to get trimming down no matter how badly I want to ride again. It's all my head. I will get there.

In your case you have a full and active life. Even the most athletic and driven women change shape and weight over the years. As long as you're as busy as you are shedding a few kilos should be doable . Don't worry too much. Warmer weather and longer days will help as we start to eat more lightly and pack even more into the day. Your concern to get Daisy back to a healthier weight is something to concentrate on first.

A few kilos sounds easy to me after a lifetime of yo-yoing. A few stone is a bigger challenge!!

For those of us who watch it 5 kilos is a serious figure, or at least a smallish change to be taken seriously. Over ten years I would put on 10 lbs and then take it off again with a diet. So people like me do yo yo, just on a smaller scale.
I am not in quite the same position as KPnut but my 4 kilos weight has gone on quickly and I resolve to get rid of it. Just went riding this morning, but have been working hard.. It is hard when one drives to work, sits at a computer all day and then drives home which is what I have been doing lately.

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
I feel your pain! I am really quite active - I walk more than 2 hours on most days, look after the horses etc - but still struggle to keep my weight down. I should not be more than 10st but currently I am 11 and have to work hard not to put more on.

The menopause sucks - my metabolism has gone through the floor. I am hoping that cutting my drinking back to 2 or 3 nights a week will help.

I've stopped drinking altogether but it's not really helped as I have developed a taste for hot chocolate made with milk and whipped cream instead of a glass of wine!

Reactions: joosie
I know I've gained since loosing my dog and jess not being right, its seriously reduced my exercise. I've been walking with a friend and her dogs 3x a week this winter and just got back from a good 3 hour hike, but I still need to be doing more, the light nights always help me get going again.

I've stopped drinking altogether but it's not really helped as I have developed a taste for hot chocolate made with milk and whipped cream instead of a glass of wine!

No easy way to say it KP Nut but the only way to lose weight is to eat less calories than you are using each day, but you know that, so the first thing that needs to go is the hot chocolate with whipped cream, that's probably more than twice the calories of a glass of wine and a lot more fat!
I guess if you've always been ultra fit and been able to consume a lot of calories it must be hard figuring out how much you can't eat when your activity level is more normal, as for your dog, I'm not sure what the answer is apart from maybe cut down what she's eating too.

Well I quit booze and developed a sweet tooth which I have NEVER had before - presumably in response to losing the sugar from alcohol. But I am now going on a sugar detox programme to get myself off the stuff. I eat very healthily but I do crave sugar so I need to sort it out.... And Daisy will go on reduced rations and longer walks. I am ashamed of myself tbh for letting her gain so much. I just never noticed how she was growing!

I put on about 5/6kg too over the last year just eating all the wrong foods. Now I've stopped eating them the weight is falling off easily because I'm active. I'm sure you will be the same KP. People tell me I don't need to loose weight but if I let myself put on 6kg this year and another 6 next year and so on its not really healthy is it and I would soon be overweight.

Quitting alcohol has really helped me drop weight. There was a point where I was verging on alcoholism because I my life was revolving around drink and I couldn't do without it. I do still drink on the odd occasion, but I don't have any in the house and I can now go for many weeks without even thinking about it, whereas before I couldn't reach 5pm without wanting the wine! My head is clearer, I am sleeping better and I have more money. Wins all round.

I also am obsessed with my fitbit. I do 20,000 steps per day without fail, and I try to aim for 30,000. This isn't necessarily walking steps as it does include my riding steps. Ben being on box rest was a great calorie burner. When I was mucking out twice per day and walking him for an hour every morning and evening, plus walking to the school and back with my kids twice a day, I was clocking up 35,000 steps without even trying. I put weight on very easily so need to keep on top of it.

I wasn't anywhere near alcoholism from a health point of view. I only drank about 2 bottles of wine over a week. But it was becoming psychologically too important to me. Wine O'Clock was just about my favourite time of the day! And so I decided I was fed up of alcohol being such a big part of my life. It is interesting @Mary Poppins that you have been able to drink occasionally without re-awakening the old habits/desires. I don't intend to quit forever but long enough to get out of the habit of regular drinking and to no longer ever really think about it. But I was not sure whether as soon as I had a drink I'd want more?

Yesterday I made Tom Yam Prawn soup for lunch. Then Vietnamese chicken salad with shredded carrot and cabbage for tea. Both full of limes, chilli, garlic, ginger, soy etc. VERY hot which I think it good for appetite control as you can't eat it quickly!

Grilled salmon with olives, tomato and basil tonight.

It's a good 'un. I use her hot and sour soup too. And her fish curry. They are some of my all time favourite recipes. I like strong flavours and plenty of heat!

I wasn't anywhere near alcoholism from a health point of view. I only drank about 2 bottles of wine over a week. But it was becoming psychologically too important to me. Wine O'Clock was just about my favourite time of the day! And so I decided I was fed up of alcohol being such a big part of my life. It is interesting @Mary Poppins that you have been able to drink occasionally without re-awakening the old habits/desires. I don't intend to quit forever but long enough to get out of the habit of regular drinking and to no longer ever really think about it. But I was not sure whether as soon as I had a drink I'd want more?
This sounds like me! I drink about that amount and think I am psychologically addicted. I don't want to give it up though! Now I am working full-time and have a dog walker/child minder/horse on full livery, I'll probably have to join a gym though!

newrider.com