As good as a metal filing cabinet for horsey storage??

Harlequin32

Feb 20, 2008
I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A METAL FILING CABINET TO STORE ALL MY HORSEY BITS IN NEW LIVERY YARD WHERE NEATNESS IN THE TACK ROOM IS IMPORTANT!! CANT FIND ONE FOR THE LIFE OF ME BUT HAVE SEEN THIS ON EBAY DO YOU THINK IT LOOKS OK? ITS ITEM NUMBER 350097872251 SORRY NOT SURE HOW TO POST LINKS PROPERLY!

ALSO JUST REALIZED CAPS LOCK ON:eek:

I think it looks better but my friend had a similar storage container and the small plastic loop used to put a padlock through to lock it was very weak and broke almost immediately

Thank you, I'm not really too worried about locking it up. Its a fairly small yard and the tack room is locked and alarmed so dont think will be a problem.
Its really just for bandages and all the bottles of stuff that you seem to accumulate with horses:rolleyes:

My brother bought me a really good metal cabinet from ikea for about £60.00, its really good and would highly recommend it :)

I have a box that is the same make to that one, which I use for my rugs and other bits and pieces. It's this one. When we moved to our current yard, I had intended to keep everything in it, but have ended up keeping my rugs, hi viz and buckets in it, and keeping my grooming kit and first aid box on top of it, as it was such a waff messing around with the padlock (no fault of the box - purely my stupid hands). I think I got it from Argos or B&Q for about £20.

have a look at your local www.freecycle.com - you may have a local group - basically people gift items & can request things they need - in my group there are often office type items - its all free & cuts down on landfill:)

I quite like the one Sez pointed out. And the funny thing is its about 3 miles away from where I live. Pity I ain't got money for it right now, or a tack room to put it in.

Have you thought about Freecycle? Its a free online group where people swap (without any exchange of money) stuff that is too good for the tip but they no longer want. You can place an offered or wanted ad and I am pretty sure you could find a metal filing cabinet for free. It might not be immacualte but would be good enough for tack. The main site is http://www.freecycle.org/group/UK and then you need to locate the group nearest to you.
We have had and given away loads of stuff - saves money on new things and petrol to take to the tip and you are doing your bit for the environment :D
There is a surprising lot of horsey stuff - I had a whole box of 80s horse magazines which were fascinating and got a barrel and some poles. The deal is you have to offer stuff too, so how about a clear out of all that stuff you meant to car boot and cant be bothered!

Oops just seen Rubysmum beat me to it!

harlequin--

-if you are anywhere near the north east of england you can have one of the ones going for scrap from my work:)

do you know anyone that works for your local council -- you could mebbe ask them if they have a noticeboard or something they can advertise on to get one for you

or put an ad in local newsagent/asda/freepaper

they are brill things for storage---good luck in getting one

ali

Ali cat- thats really kind of you, unfortunatly i'm not anywhere near you.
I have actually ordered one off Ebay I think form the seller Sez pointed out but bigger (he's a spoilt little hoss!:eek:)
This morning on my way to work i drove round the corner from my house to see one out for the rubbish!!! How annoying's that?:rolleyes:

Never mind, cant wait for it to come so i can fill it up-- how sad is that:eek:
All my stuff is presently still at old yard -where we still have pony so thats not too cheeky or rolling around my car.

No luck with Freeserve- looks like a great idea but my membership is awaiting something or other and has been since i signed up over a week ago

newrider.com