At last! A digital pulse!

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
I know it's not good that Ziggy has digital pulses, but then he is recovering from a laminitis attack. And this evening I had a first in 8 years of horse ownership - I actually managed to feel his digital pulse! I have been shown how to umpteen times, and never had a whisker of success, so I am ridiculously chuffed.

His pulse was a little slower than once a second, so probably not too bad - certainly not "galloping" as it was described to me a week ago when the attack was in full flood.

On some horses and ponies it is a devil to find unless it is bounding away and then you can almost see it with the eye let alone need to feel it! My little Bertie donk who is a tad lammi prone is very difficult to find - but I know him so well now that I can guess within two strides of him coming towards me in the field if we are entering dangerous lammi territory. Useful early warning and usually very easy to quickly get him back under control but still scares the bejaysus out of me :O

Reactions: orbvalley
@Jane&Ziggy where do you check it? I can never find it if I check very low down, but I can if I feel around the fetlock. Also, and it's not a scientific guide but one that acts as a heads up for me, I find the vein down the lower leg becomes enlarged first so that might also be worth checking. I don't know how people with fully feathered cobs manage!

I have to admit I wouldn't have a clue where to feel..... Not helped by my steeds' hairy tootsies!!

@carthorse I found it just above the fetlock, at the bottom of the big ligament on the lower leg - sort of the widest point before the fetlock narrows. My trimmer showed me how to hold the leg with my whole hand, then you have several chances to feel it!

Reactions: carthorse
Someone please find a picture or put some arrows on a leg or find video link please. Funny enough I was going to post asking where to check as I know several people have mentioned it on here.

I find Jess' under the fetlock, I grasp the whole pastern from front to back and can feel it on both inside and outside of the pastern nearer the back. You do have to be careful not to feel too firmly, you can easily collapse the artery and prevent the blood flow which obviously then means you can't feel the pulsing.

Reactions: Cortrasna
newrider.com