At last a saddle that fits

Nov 7, 2014
Warning this is long

Having returned last saddle and got a refund of the saddle fitter, I was slightly disparing of finding a saddle that fitted my Fell mare for trec and showing. Having researched on the web, chatted to various people including the lovely ladies at Moody Mare in Hebden Bridge and discussed fitting on forums such as this one I was convinced what I needed was a pretty flat half panel saddle, with an A or V shape gullet not hoop tree and ideally with v dressage girth straps. Somewhat different from the long flat hooped tree saddle people seem to think would suit my fell but invariable shot up her neck and the Bates saddle I loved but has caused a lot of damage.

To cut a long story short having looked on ebay and pre loved I spoted a second hand Walsall made Classic Saddle, it was described as ideal for a difficult to fit flat back native type and being sold as a working hunter come gp come endurance saddle.Really nice in two tone lighter havvanah buffalo leather flaps and dark havanah seat and knee rolls. its nice enough to show in . I thought what the heck its a sensible price not dirt cheap but worth the risk as I could sell it on if it didn't fit. Well blow me if the saddle turned up and I thought 'no chance' took it up the stable and it blooming well fits! Not only does it fit but in the space of three sessions in it pony no longer runs to the back of the stable to hide when she sees me with a saddle. Speaks volumes doesn't it.

It is an odd looking saddle as underneath it has a v gullet with points that are the same angle as ponys shoulders, flat half panels that sit neatly on ponys back, and the rigging is almost like a western with one strap at the front and one right at the back. The top however is like a dressage saddle with quite a high pommel and cantle.

Its the most comfortable saddle I have rode in for a very long time so no back ache after an hour up and down steep tracks today. The saddle didn't move one either side to side or forward . When I got of no swirls of hair under the points or stirrup bars which was happening all the time with my Bates and according to the saddle fitter was due to my riding....Just a nice even panel mark no depressed areas and no puffing up.

The only thing I can fault it on is that it has no knee rolls just an odd pencil thing at the front on the flap but you cant have everything can you and as I don't need them for grip on shandy (I needed a parachute and set belt when my old horse was her age) it doesn't really matter!

So pleased as I was getting to point of despair.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lS9oninZ-To" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Isn't it just wonderful when you eventually find a saddle that suits you and the horse? Took me three years and countless saddles but we got there in the end. I see what you mean about the knee rolls, very slim line but I would imagine that might look nice for showing?

I can see why you struggle to find a good fitting one though on your gorgeous Fell - she is a chunky lady to be sure!:D

That looks lovely! Fells big shoulders don't help with saddles fitting properly either do they! I'm having saddle issues too so going to have to get someone out to see if they can suggest padding/shimming to make my saddle fit and if not I'll have to buy a new one.

Sounds like the sort of saddle I could do with for my 3yo. A Kent and masters cob saddle is too curved for her dear old flat back... (I'm hoping she grows withers soon...!)

We had a half panel design for a while and we still make them occasionally to order, they're on much flatter trees though. We've found our upswept very close contact panel is more versatile and shortens the footprint, often allowing a bigger rider to have more room in the saddle. Just double check it's not tipping backwards when you're on board, it looks a fraction cantle low, but that's not uncommon without a rider on board.

On the whole we fit Fells with our very flat sport pony tree which is a neat tree, will fit up to XXW, for some XXW and anything wider THEN they go in a flat hoop tree (our cob tree eg the Dale and Kendal WHs), but it needs to have short, close contact panels. Anything with a long seat will be more likely to be kicked forwards.

What a relief for you - and am pleased she likes it - nice to have a horse who says what they like - mine is the same - very voluble about which saddle he likes or dislikes - no matter what the saddle fitter says!

newrider.com