At the grand old age of 8

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Ale now has both front legs basically excluded from his insurance policy, they will only cover wounds nothing else. :cry: :cry:

Better get saving as he is accident prone as it is

Why both fronts?
My insurance didnt exclude anything for my worm burden but I am on a vet programme now. That was one of the agreements.

We are excluded from sarcoids. I suspect that will also mean melanomas and as we are a few spot/grey, highly likely these will occur as he gets older.

However, more often than not, it is a massive colic or a kick that will cause a huge few k bill, so I shall keep on with the insurance until something like that happens!

Insurance is a nightmare!

Angel's excluded from lami, cushings, ANYTHING metabolic, ANYTHING to do with breathing and any skin ailments. this leaves accidental injury and colic surgery (which I won't put her through at her age). maybe you can get the exclusions removed in a few years?

Who knows what the future brings really but I will keep positive, just a little shocked that both legs are excluded.

But like you say colic and injury can add up very quickly so I will keep it on

Yup both excluded here too!

Out of interest who do you insure with?

My quote is just under £500 but that's as he is still insured for use hacking, schooling, local shows etc none of which I've done for a while but I'm reluctant to change it to field rest until I know how long he will just be turned away for, hopefully it won't be too long as he is sound but not sure

Out of interest who do you insure with?

My quote is just under £500 but that's as he is still insured for use hacking, schooling, local shows etc none of which I've done for a while but I'm reluctant to change it to field rest until I know how long he will just be turned away for, hopefully it won't be too long as he is sound but not sure

I was with Scottish Equestrian but now with Petplan. Petplan have excluded both legs (SE had only excluded the bad one) however SE wanted to charge me double the price because I was still insured for all sorts of competing and there was no way to remove that from my policy. Petplan had a policy specifically for retired horses at grass so that is what she is insured under now, suits us better and costs about £18/month (rather than £35/month with SE). With Rubic's injury any lameness that can't be treated with field rest will likely spell the end for her and so it doesn't bother me that there are extra exclusions.

newrider.com