Automatics for towing

Safedrive Steev

Nov 23, 2009
Just outside Derby, UK
I saw amongst one of the other messages a question on using an automatice for trailer test.

Yes, you can use an automatic for trailer test BUT you will end up with an auto only towing licence.

So unless you really are gear phobic do it in a manual and you have the best of both worlds.

I don't know any trailer trainers who use autos though I suspect most, if not all would happily use your vehicle and trailer combination if asked. We are all insured for any vehicle as part of our instructor policy.

I guess I'm just very happy (and grateful) to be old enough that I passed my test when you were still awarded the E licence at the same time (subject to age restrictions) :giggle:

Quick question on towing with an automatic - would you have any recommendations as to whether it's better to tow in "S" mode or "D" mode (especially if there's a difference/preference for the engine !) ?

S or D mode for auto towing

I'd have to chicken out here and say - see the handbook.

My gut feeling is that D would be the better option as all S tends to do is hold the revs for longer before going up a ratio.

On the subject of autos be aware that many auto boxes are prone to overheat and failure if used for heavy towing - more modern vehicles tend to have oil coolers for the auto fluid but even so it is worth checking the recommended figures for your vehicle.

I find that in S, the box will change down a gear quicker than D, which will try to pootle in a gear (or 2) that seems too high for the speed (uhm, if you see what I mean ?)

With regards to "heavy towing", what do you mean by this ?
Are you referring to the overall weight of the load or the fact that you're always running about with a trailer ?
I had a look in the handbooks but apart from mentionning the max tractable loads (braked and non-braked trailers), not much else is mentionned :unsure:

newrider.com