awful confidence in lesson!

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton
I had a lesson last night, my confidence was all over the place - i had really developed a bit of anxiety about cantering in the school since falling off a couple of weeks ago, even though i have had canters in between in the school and hacking, theres just a massive difference between having the canters so that i dont go stale/get too nervous and actually cantering with confidence!!

My RI was really good and supportive though, if i didnt feel like trying then there was no pressure - as soon as she said that i tried and had a lovely canter circle on the right rein. BUT i was just sooooo nervous on the left rein, Moet wouldnt canter (i wasnt committed enough to make her as i was scared). Its been a long time now since i have been anxious of cantering in the school, i was so disappointed with myself!

I did have my best friend and her boyf watching me - which really really didnt help with my confidence, as i was really self conscious of all the bouncing around i was doing.

I *think that i ended the lesson more confident though as i did my first ever no-stirrup work on Moet! OMG i did NOT want to get rid of the stirrups, my RI said come on lets give it a little go in walk, so i did and then before i knew it i was trotting! To be honest, although Moet knew i was lacking balance and it was at the end of the lesson and she was playing up, i absolutely loved the no-stirrup stuff, it REALLY helped my position and balance - def going to carry on with no stirrup stuff (although i did almost go out the side door a few times! lol!

No stirrups work scares me to death! Well done you!!! :)

I know exactly what you mean about others watching- I hate it when there are even people 'milling around' when I go for my lessons.

Sounds like a mixed bag! Confidence lacking because of the canter, but confidence brimming because of the no stirrup work. Surely the trotting cancels out the bad experience of cantering! There's always next time. I'm finding it only takes a couple of lessons before you get into the groove and feel better again so give it a wee bit more time.

I think you definitetly built confidence in certain areas, which is great. Focus on that for now and chip away at the canter stuff- it'll come. Sounds like you have a good RI, which is a bonus. Well done :)

I would be focusing on the positives. If you are happy riding without stirrups then I think your canter confidence just had a wee day off!

I don't really enjoy being watched either but some days it bothers me more than others.

I think its great that you feel confident with no stirrups! Keep up the good work, you will be back confidently cantering before you know it! :)

Echo all the above - I think sometimes it can be a bit off-putting if you are being watched - perhaps that had a bigger influence than you realised? (Having said that, I don't mind non horsey folk watching me - just people who ride!!!)

newrider.com