Back in the saddle! Help me get fit

Jessica holly

Sep 30, 2015
New zealand
so I have just recently gotten back in the saddle (5 months ago) and currently own a standardbred , I have lost a lot of weight since riding again, but I am wanting to tone my body back into shape, I am currently around 60/ or so kgs , and want to get back into the 50s , I am going o put a boxing bag back up and do some kick boxing, but what are some good exersizes whilst mounted that can work and tone calf muscles ?
Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,014.1 KB · Views: 25
It sounds daft but riding properly will help in itself. You one how it feels the day after a lesson where you've worked hard and your thighs and stomach feel like they've been through a full workout?!

Try working with no stirrups (you can do this out hacking or in the school) in trot - sitting and rising. Also make sure you sit up straight and use core muscles to ask for changes of pace or direction. You could also circle your arms - that would help balance too.

I'm sure someone else probably has more to add but there's a start for you anyway.

Edited to add I didn't see the calf muscle bit - but the work without stirrups still helps!

Last edited:
Chev is knowledgeable, but it is not a good idea to hack without your feet in the stirrups. We never do it. Anyone riding on roads is required to have proper saddle and bridle. And off road there is simply the added risk.
Although it sounds odd one does get physical exercise and fitness out hacking. I haven't hacked so much lately and my RI remarked that I had lost my riding fitness. Out hacking one does long sustained trots and canters so it builds stamina, it seems . One needs to plan carefully to do as much in a school session even in a. 60 m. School.

Should have explained it is law in the UK. Maybe not elsewhere. But we are also guided by our insurance. Riding schools are licensed and insured here in UK for some activities. And there are also by-laws .

As far as I know the only laws about riding on the road is that a) you must have correct tack on, b) children under 14 must wear a proper fitted helmet. [Children who follow the Sikh religion and wear a turban are exempt from rule b] and rule c) you must not ride on footpaths or pavements

There are lots of recommendations that are listed (like the wearing of hi viz) but they are not law as such. Unless I've missed that one? I'm a bit gosmacked that they allow people to rde without a helmet on the road!

I never thought it was illegal either ? What a bizarre thought.

I used to hack out a lot bareback with just a bridle on, sometimes just a headcollar as well !

If (and that's a big if) it's true then it's bonkers to have to have a saddle on a horse when you can ride a bike with no hat !

It's in the highway code, everyone is familiar with this surely?
Though I actually do not think it's illegal as I see so many people riding with hi viz and it's in the Highway Code.

It's advisory not legal. So it's not illegal not to follow.

It depends what the HWC says in terms of should (suggestion) or must (requirement) do something. From a quick check the horse/rider related bits are all should's, though in the case of an incident I suspect you would struggle with your insurance and any law suits if you havent followed the suggestions.

For rider fitness Pilates are great and really help tone up :)

It's such a grey area. Bitless bridles are OK as it's called a bridle, but riding halters are not as it's a halter. I used to pay an extra £70 a year to hack out in mine.
Now she wears a bit, simple and cheaper!

Welcome to England as in other countries it's not like this.

Welcome to the forum BTW. :)

Reactions: Jessey
I don't think we have any of those laws /advisory here.
I ride in a halter quite often.

Welcome to the forum!!

This is not mounted but a good calf exercise is to stand on the edge of a step
and drop your heels down either both at once or a combo of both then alternate
It gives a nice stretch.

Are here any exercises I can do so I don't have problems dismounting after riding? I've been working on a horse simulator for 3 sessions at my R/s after a long break from riding. I fractured my thigh in 1987 (not through riding) and when I've been working the muscles I find it's very hard to swing my right leg over the back of the cantle.

newrider.com