backing a shetland

CharliesAngel

Jan 15, 2010
any tips welcome!

One of my shetlands came to me last November as a completely unhandled 3 year old. I spent winter doing ground work and teaching to lead, manners etc. She only took a few days when I first got her to come round to the idea of being caught as she is naturally friendly and although very wary, she soon got over her nerves at any sight of a bucket. At the start I think I was probably a bit over enthusiastic and did a bit much too soon with her as into January I hit some problems where she started testing the boundaries and proved that she is quite a sharp girl who is far too handy with her back feet for her own good. I got some help in and had a groundwork lesson which helped enormously and I generally learned to take a step back a bit and be more intuitive about what her body language was telling me.

Fast forward to spring and she is now a very well mannered young lady who trailers out to shows and behaves beautifully, I couldn’t be more proud of her although I think she will always be a sharp type. I’ve been doing a lot of preparing for backing her myself; she is a full up island bred pony and although Im not a teenager anymore Im around 8 1/2 stone. She has been bitted and happily wears a saddle and walks out inhand with it on. Long reining is not a strong point it has to be said and requires more work. She is well used to things flapping over and round her and Ive been leaning over her progressively more until slipped a leg over her and let her take my weight. She had a neckstrap on and she did look worried, ears went back , but she didn’t do anything other than step back. Fast forward a bit again and Ive been able to be led round on her. she still feels wary but is very good and will walk on when told and stand. All I am doing is max 5 mins at a time and then making lots of fuss of her. Am I right to just keep my legs loose on her for the time being, Im on her bareback. Im very aware of not rushing her and am over the moon to have even got this far. I dont have a little jockey available to do more with her , although my little one will be led on her, he is only 2 and very small for his age so he wont be on her until we are a lot further down the line. So what should my next step with her be? My thoughts were to continue in this way, no pressure, for the rest of summer hope to get her to the point of being led out for walks with a rider, which she currently does in tack very nicely.

I would back a Shetland the same as I would any size horse.

For me I want the lunging and longreining all off my voice then when you move onto the ridden your leg is added alongside your voice. I would want all the transitions happening, decreasing and increasing circles etc. If they are not ready/fit enough for that I wouldn't be at the ridden stage.
You can get yourself a "dummy" rider and lunge/longrein with that. Include trotting poles and teeny cross pole. You may discover they are hiding a few bucks-mine did.

Ditto above! Just treat like any horse. As it happens the one horse I could never crack to break for driving was my daughters Shetland! He just would NOT long line ! He would take me field/mud surfing ! He was a fantastic lead rein pony, but I never had a proper Jockey to break him in properly so to speak, and Im nearly 6ft! He did throw me off once, but thats another story!!

Lunging long reining and voice control as for all horses! My almost 6' but light daughter backs everything even our shetland as you do not want anyone falling off in the intital stages. Then find if you can a light brave teenager to take them of lunge/lead. Sitting a tiny tot on is not backing/ breaking and will lead to a pony probably only usable on the lead rein.

Reactions: Gimp
ok great stuff thanks, she is very good with voice commands, the only thing we haven’t worked on is canter. She will lunge but I do very little of it tbh with her being so young. eml i intend to continue backing her myself as i have up to now.

Reactions: Gimp
I love Shetlands but don't think they are very easy really are they? We have a very beautiful and very naughty shetland on our yard who came from a riding school. Actually he was thrown out of riding school because he hates children and is a biter!!! So cute and unbelievably beautiful with his flaxen mane and tail, and even last night when his Mum was away and he took me ages to catch, he is just so cute that you couldn't get remotely irritable with him!

I guess they must be built for carrying fairly heavy loads so I suppose perfectly possible for a light adult to back them.

Don't blame the Shetland pony for his attitude due to mishandling, If warmbloods had to put up with what Shetlands do they would not be as dopey as they are.

They are bloody intelligent little things!! I think its like little tiny dogs that often get labelled as yappy and nippy, never been trained or taught manners properley as they are 'cute and little and get to wear little dresses and jumpers' then they become a menace to society in the size of a slipper

I will vouch for Emls post about not being a tot - I have Mini who is fab on the lead rein but no clue off it! But he is smaller than yours.

I wou continue the way you are just taking your time and going step by step :)

I only really started getting into shetlands a couple of years ago and I am completely hooked. Their characters and spirit has utterly won me over to the breed. I have a small (very small) herd of standard blacks and they are completely addictive. I’ve not yet met a nasty shetland or one that lives up to the ‘sh!tland’ name so many attribute to them, in fact I really don’t like hearing them called that. I adore their strength of character, yes they are cheeky and clever... oh so clever but they have deep deep souls and talk to you intensively with those dark eyes. The pony I have posted about has taught me so much and Im in awe of her really and how much I can now do with her. I was warned that 3 years old was leaving it too late to ever have make a really good pony of her, that she would always be wary of us. I did worry for a while when she was kicking but greater understanding has taught me this was my own fault and she wasn’t being nasty. In little over 6 months she has gone from being a completely unhandled pony to a pony who ties up and would stand all day, either at home or at a show, has lovely manners, catches, leads politely & knows voice commands to walk on, trot on, stand and back up, is great with traffic passing her, is perfectly behaved with the farrier, loads & travels, loves being bathed, wears tack and is now being lightly backed and has actually now had a small jockey on board and was a complete gem. I probably got very lucky ;)

newrider.com