Bad day and Horses calling you!!

fairlady

Jul 14, 2007
Bristol
OH did the Horses first thing for me, well threw them some Hay;)

He rang me at 11 to say they had been fine etc.

Left for my late shift a bit early and thought I would just pop up there, top up hay etc., and check for myself they were still OK.

Got there to find the leccy fencing down, both Horses running round like lunatics, panicking because they were outside of the fencing and not where they should be:rolleyes: When they spotted me they went into overdrive, calling me and racing round the edges of their 'winter bit' to get to me.

I shouted at them 'steady, steady', turned off the fencing, replaced it all
then lowered one bit for them to come back thro'. Both were unsure but
Sioned trusted my judgement and jumped it, much to Berties disgust and then
I managed to grab him, told him it was all OK and then he jumped the tape
to come back in as well;)

Put the fencing back on and fed them, gave them more hay and not being a 'happy bunny' because I was in my work clothes and boots:rolleyes: I did mentioned 'dog food' to them if they kept getting out:p

Stood there with them for a while and it struck me once again how much trust they have in me to have come back over the fencing even though neither were that keen as they must have both got a bit of a shock going over in the first place. Three posts had been pulled out but I think probably blown over tbh with the ground being so wet!!

Finished work at 9.30 tonight and thought I would just pop up to check them and that they were where they should be, lol. Both must recognise my car because they came running to the gate before I actually got there, lol.
Parked and got out and Both of them started calling me, you know, the low
'haw haw haw' that they do. To my great suprise, they actually had hay still !!!!

NOW, point of this thread.......WHY do they do that, they are always calling to me, sometimes they even call to me when I have been there
for hours doing something and if they are over
the other side of the field and see me walk round from the stables, do they see me
as one of the 'herd' lol, or are they just excited because they think they
are going to be fed again.....they were mighty disappointed tonight if it was the latter:p

Last edited:
Both of mine have taken to neighing to me when they're out, especially near feeding time. You must have a really good relationship with them, and they might even see you as herd leader;) which is a good place to be:D

Kelly always calls when I go to the field. She doesn't do it till she knows I'm going to attend to her, be it feed her or bring her in (depending on the season), probably because she knows I faff about in the car for about five minutes sorting stuff out before I go into the yard.

I find the different sounds she makes fascinating too - sometimes it's a whingy "Hurry up and let's get in out of the rain/wind/cold", then there's the "Where the hell have you been????" if I'm 30 seconds late, but my favourite one's the "Hey! I wasn't expecting you yet - what a surprise!"

But whatever... it's a lovely sound, specially when you've had a horrible day at work!

Harvey and Piccolo both call to me when I get there. If out they will normally bomb over at a canter or trot if they're being lazy and then call. HArvey normally makes a very low soft nicker where as Piccolo's is a bit more of a excited sound.

They do it regardless of if I'm feeding or not but normally when I first get there. Although Harvey will do it at feed time too.

If stabled both still call when i first get there but its a bit more of a 'hurry up!' call.

Not sure what grounding it has on respect etc as Harvey can be quite disrespectful but still does it :p

Must admit I do love the cantering over when i get there though :)

Well whatever the reason...I LOVE IT:p

Sometimes though the HUGE responsibility of having these two youngsters and knowing they do mostly trust my judgement, especially Sioned who obviously I have owned a lot longer, weighs on my mind a bit if I am totally honest, I know in my mind where we 'want to go' lol, but sometimes putting
it all into practise is a bit of a different thing.

Sometimes, just sometimes, I think 'what if I have got this all wrong' what if I only THINK I can do it but in reality I can't and I let them down, and if I do I
could ruin them:eek:

Naw, you won't ruin 'em! Sounds like they just like calling to you! hehehehe. Our pair give me the "hoo hoo hoo" routine if I disappear into the tack room for a few minutes - its like they think I've gone or something? And then when I reappear they do it - perhaps they think they're going to get treats.......(they don't! They have far too many!!!)

newrider.com