Bad news about about Charlie

~Bethan~

Aug 22, 2004
Hastings, England
Visit site
Hi everyone,
I know i don't post about my two on here very often, but now i need some info! I had the vet out today, and have had some really bad news. :( :( :( Charlie, our tbxcob mare has got a serious foot problem. She went a little lame a couple of months ago but not forlong, she had a cut on her leg at the time and we assumed that was what it was. But shewent lame again recently so we thought we'd better have the vet out. We've had x rays done and they think the bones in charlie's feet that absorb shockon impact have calcified (they don't work). the vet said it may be that she will never be able to work again, and will need to be put on grass for retirement. I know it's not the end of the world, cos we'll never sell her but she's ony 5 and it'll mean she'll never getto compete. She loves jumping and has shown great potential in dressage. We are at a loss! She is on Butte and is having special shoes fitted, but we don't know much else about the condition. I was wondering if anyone on here had any tips or advice cos they've seen/experienced the situation before. Sorry to complain, i'm so relieved she wont need to be put to sleep or anything liek that but gutted that she'll be lame for the rest of her life. Any information at all would be gratefully recieved! :(

PS sorry it's so long winded

Oh poor you - that sounds awful and you must be really disappointed. How definite are the vets comments - is he saying likely or definitely? If there is still any hope, I have everything crossed for you.

Take care and the very best of luck XXXX

That is so sad. Does she have shoes on? If she were mine I'd have a barefoot trimmer out to her and start transition before it gets any worse. She might be sore for a while but it would be better for her in the long run. I really hope there is a solution, i long life with sore feet isn't ideal for anyone!

Sounds like ringbone or sidebone. If so, there are a number of resources you could look into. Ringbone/sidebone are influenced both by conformation and by shoeing...and also a few other things. Usually by the time you catch it, it's too late to undo :(

Sorry to hear that Charlie's in such a rough situation. Maybe it's something else--and maybe there's something that can be done about it. You never know.

Thats such a shame :( . At least she doesn't need pts. She'll just love spending the rest of her time messing around in a field, palying with her friends. SHE'S not going to miss being ridden! :D

If you can remeber what part of the foots affected I can explain it for you (vet student) although I can't really help with prognosis.

There's various parts of a horses legs and feet that act as shock-absorbers, so you'd need to remember any technical names.

Oh thats terrifying, you must be so devastated... and at only 5 too. I can't offer much advise as I don't know much about this sort of thing but I hope that it turns out not to be as serious as first thought.

Thanks everyone, the advice has definitely come in handy, We got a second opinion from another vet to be sure and they've said pretty much the same thing. But both have recommende we get her x rayed and sign up for water therapy, and then we may be able to ride her in winter when shes on butte and the ground is soft. We dpn't know whetehr we will or not though, we wont sell her and she certainly wont mind being on grass, is it worth putting her through it all??? as pink lady said

SHE'S not going to miss being ridden!

what do you think? oooh jjust remmebered, it's her side bone on the right fore! :(

My OH said that in his experience most horses with the same condition can come back into lioght work fairly well you just need to be aware of it, e.g no speed on hard ground etc but at 5 I would want to try because if not you'll just go back to plan A anyway, i.e as a companion

Fingers crossed

Sorry to hear about your horse - what happened in the end? Was he able to be ridden gently eg in walk or did he become retired?

I am trying to find out more info about ossification in the hooves as its possible the BS might have it. How/why does it happen? Did you horse become suddenly lame or did you notice a gradual change?

Not doubting your vet, but I'd seek a second opinion before accepting such a significant diagnosis & treatment.

newrider.com