Bad news x 3

Sounds like a plan. The diary is a good idea, best way to chart progress.

Yes, do keep a record. I more or less stopped recording the progress of Ziggy's illness and when I saw some photos taken of him just before the end I was horrified by how he had deteriorated - seeing him day to day I honestly hadn't noticed so much.

Yes, do keep a record. I more or less stopped recording the progress of Ziggy's illness and when I saw some photos taken of him just before the end I was horrified by how he had deteriorated - seeing him day to day I honestly hadn't noticed so much.
yes that's the problem it is so gradual. On Saturday if I was scoring him for lameness 1 being worst and 5 being sound, I would have rated him one, as he was hobbling bringing front up to front but not stepping beyond. today, till he stood on a stone, he was 2-3

Exactly the same with Ramsey. I looked at old photos and could nt believe how poor he looked this spring

16hh high, he doesn't have big feet despite being a shire x, I would appreciate trying them as he is very lame today
I did see your message earlier, not totally sure how to get back to it!! I’ll get them out to you tomorrow. Hope they help x

I'm sorry to hear this :( Its worth checking on your insurance if you get an additional amount of money for 'complimentary therapies', I did on mine and used it for the physiotherapist to work on Jess more while she was lame to help stop her getting any extra stiffness from hobbling around. It may also be worth looking into acupuncture as a pain management thing :)

I'm sorry to hear this :( Its worth checking on your insurance if you get an additional amount of money for 'complimentary therapies', I did on mine and used it for the physiotherapist to work on Jess more while she was lame to help stop her getting any extra stiffness from hobbling around. It may also be worth looking into acupuncture as a pain management thing :)
thanks he has a mctimothy practitioner we use to iron out aches and pains, he saw her two weeks ago. will see about acupuncture too

thanks he has a mctimothy practitioner we use to iron out aches and pains, he saw her two weeks ago. will see about acupuncture too
My insurance would only cover physio, tho I normally used another type, I opted to use the available funds for extra treatments as it was there and once you're claiming it seems madness not to take every bean they offer you :)

My insurance would only cover physio, tho I normally used another type, I opted to use the available funds for extra treatments as it was there and once you're claiming it seems madness not to take every bean they offer you :)
I intend to throw the kitchen sink at him in terms of what they will cover, first thing new boots which drain so he can wear them on the yard during the day

Reactions: Jessey
Still unsure how I got to messages sorry! I’ve just posted them. They are washed but have bits on the Velcro! It still sticks fine though. They say just a few hours at first then you can build up if wanted. I used to turn out in them if he’s not stood inside. Really hope they help.

Still unsure how I got to messages sorry! I’ve just posted them. They are washed but have bits on the Velcro! It still sticks fine though. They say just a few hours at first then you can build up if wanted. I used to turn out in them if he’s not stood inside. Really hope they help.
Thanks for this he is on the yard during the day and out at night, I may have to change this as he was sounder this morning when he came in from the field and standing on concrete may be worse for him.

Reactions: Toz
Yes maybe. Or maybe he’s just more mobile out in the field presumably being a bigger area with grass to pick at all round?
Does he mainly stand at a hay net on the yard? (Mine do!)

Yes maybe. Or maybe he’s just more mobile out in the field presumably being a bigger area with grass to pick at all round?
Does he mainly stand at a hay net on the yard? (Mine do!)
nah he spends most of the day bossing and bullying the others. He is during the day to staff off the best of the grass there are several haynets on the yard to keep them moving - it's probably just that the field is softer. I could try muzzling him during the day but I know he won't like it much....

Yeah it’s hard isn’t it! Mine, I’m sure would be better off out 24/7 but is fat enough as it is. I know a muzzle would destroy his soul literally

Yeah it’s hard isn’t it! Mine, I’m sure would be better off out 24/7 but is fat enough as it is. I know a muzzle would destroy his soul literally
he's a very proud dominant horse, the two mares go out with muzzles at night and are resigned to their fate.

Reactions: Toz
Aww bless him. It’s a shame they just can’t be told it’s for their own good

Well some progress, I rode him today for the first time. He went out cheerfully, really walking on just like the old Buddy. Managed a convincing spook spin and canter two strides. I rode for 25 minutes with boots on tarmac slow gradual climb in one direction then came back. Only thing I noticed was when we came down the steeper bit of the hill to the yard, the clip clop sound changed, and the near fore was making a heavier louder sound. Got off, still walking level i.e. both fronts extending equally not going short. Once he got onto the level ground the rhythm/noise went back to being regular and equal. If you didn't know about the xrays you wouldn't give it a thought, put it down to the road camber etc. so have asked vet what she thinks.

That does sound encouraging - just the fact that he enjoyed himself and didn't seem sorry or reluctant is a bonus. Be interesting to see what the vet says.

newrider.com