Bad news x 3

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
The prognosis on Buddy is not brilliant. He has ringbone in the near fore in the joint and also other arthritic spurs. Has spurs on his knees but not as significant as the near fore. Off fore has some spurs but not ringbone.

Too many joints involved to do steroid injections as he is cushings borderline and the steroids can bring on laminitis so too high a risk.

Put on bute and supplements, rest for 5 days, then ride gently for three weeks and re-assess. The hoof boots are probably what has kept him going. No more riding club or hunt rides as the concussion won't help. Basically all the hard work, cantering on tarmac in the common riding, jumping on hard ground, have caught up with him. It is hoped that I can continue riding him gently and that on bute he will be sound, but all the exciting stuff is out of the window unless it is very soft ground - in which case his boots will probably come off. I sort of felt it was coming but very sad. Vet and I agree that the main thing is for him to be pain free if we can and happy.

Managed to prang my box at the vets so that will need a bit of a paint job.

When we got home Buddy in his excitement when I was leading him into the field knocked me over and flattened me, so I landed on the ribs that were broken before and are now a bit on the tender side.

So all in all a brilliant afternoon.

• Sad
Reactions: GaryB and Huggy
I'm so sorry about Buddy, just because you thought it was coming doesn't make it any better. In addition to all the stuff he's getting have you considered magnets? I got some pastern bands from Equine Magnetix that do seem to help stiffness, and a friend uses them on her horse with ringbone and they seem to make a significant difference to him. They're fairly cheap but seem as effective as more expensive ones, and can be left on for long periods. I put them round his canon bone rather than pastern, they're too wide for my lad to wear there.

The box is just a paint job, not the end of the world or worth stressing over.

I hope you're just bruised, take it easy for a few days.

Gentle (((hugs))) and good vibes to both you and Buddy.

Oh God you are really coming in for it at the moment, aren't you? So sorry to hear about all 3 things, but especially your ribs. Be gentle with yourself, ribs are awful things to injure.

Oh God you are really coming in for it at the moment, aren't you? So sorry to hear about all 3 things, but especially your ribs. Be gentle with yourself, ribs are awful things to injure.
Rose cob bust them on the south downs when we pulled up after galloping and she put in a dirty buck and dumped me

So sorry, what an awful afternoon
My old boy had awful arthritis in his hocks and one fetlock which put pay to his hunting and dressage career with his former owners. After time off and bute and slow coming back into work he actually came sound, probably sound enough to have lightly hunted or done a bit more than the hacking I did. Don’t give up all hope. Sometimes an easy life for a time can really help.
As for box pranging, I’m pretty good at that too ;)
I once took out a dry stone wall at a house where I was pony sitting while the owners were away. Mortified I “rebuilt” it. The next morning, literally it was perfectly rebuilt properly. Never to this day did I find out who by or what happened

Hope your not too sore xx

Sorry - all of it at once is really unfair. Hope buddy can settle into a gentler routine, and by the sounds of it, that's what you need for a while too. Rest up and heal. (Body and soul!)

So sorry, what an awful afternoon
My old boy had awful arthritis in his hocks and one fetlock which put pay to his hunting and dressage career with his former owners. After time off and bute and slow coming back into work he actually came sound, probably sound enough to have lightly hunted or done a bit more than the hacking I did. Don’t give up all hope. Sometimes an easy life for a time can really help.
As for box pranging, I’m pretty good at that too ;)
I once took out a dry stone wall at a house where I was pony sitting while the owners were away. Mortified I “rebuilt” it. The next morning, literally it was perfectly rebuilt properly. Never to this day did I find out who by or what happened

Hope your not too sore xx

If the vet hadn't been flapping around directing me I would never have hit the side of the building, I just wish folks would get out the way instead of being in the way.
I'm so sorry about Buddy, just because you thought it was coming doesn't make it any better. In addition to all the stuff he's getting have you considered magnets? I got some pastern bands from Equine Magnetix that do seem to help stiffness, and a friend uses them on her horse with ringbone and they seem to make a significant difference to him. They're fairly cheap but seem as effective as more expensive ones, and can be left on for long periods. I put them round his canon bone rather than pastern, they're too wide for my lad to wear there.

The box is just a paint job, not the end of the world or worth stressing over.

I hope you're just bruised, take it easy for a few days.

Gentle (((hugs))) and good vibes to both you and Buddy.
yeah the box will fix, it is a special paint so just hope it is still available. It pales compared to Buddy. Vet mentioned magnets too so we will see how we are at the end of the month. I am a bit bruised, silly old bugger, he just took off when I was leading him to the stables from the field as I parked up at the house. He decided he was in a hurry and next thing I knew I was semi air

My friend who is an equine chiropractor has recently invested in a whole set of magnets which she uses on all her oldsters. She has recently taken a 22 year old 16.1 heavy Irish cob on loan and he had a lot of issues with his back and hocks from unsympathetic riding - she says the magnets have improved him hugely, to the extent that when I rode him recently I marvelled at the power and elevation of his trot.

Do you have some magnetic boots? I have some old bioflows if there of any use to you? I no longer use them x

Do you have some magnetic boots? I have some old bioflows if there of any use to you? I no longer use them x
no I don't, don't know anything about them, I am sort of trying to get up to speed and the more I reqd the more depressed I get

My friend who is an equine chiropractor has recently invested in a whole set of magnets which she uses on all her oldsters. She has recently taken a 22 year old 16.1 heavy Irish cob on loan and he had a lot of issues with his back and hocks from unsympathetic riding - she says the magnets have improved him hugely, to the extent that when I rode him recently I marvelled at the power and elevation of his trot.
bud has been severely used over the years, in terms of being forced into behind the bit outlines, harsh bits, jumping, hard ground, trashed on the common riding etc. he has been having a lot of chiropractor work, new saddles etc. in the six years I have had him, he had only 1 abscess due to standing on a stone causing a bruised sole which abscessed till all this which is very recent i.e in last month. most of his life he has been ridden hollow, on the forehand, never leant to use his bum. it's not surprising his fronts are the issue as they have been doing all the work

I’m sorry to hear about Buddy and hope you aren’t too sore - remember to look after yourself too.

no I don't, don't know anything about them, I am sort of trying to get up to speed and the more I reqd the more depressed I get
What size is Buddy? If large would do pm me and I’ll send them. They have done me a turn and I no longer use them. Even if you prefer new but want to try and see if they help before buying.

So sorry to read this. It’s sad when they have to slow down when we have had so much fun together.

I hope your ribs aren’t too sore for long.

On a plus note you can enjoy getting susie and fluerette going :) Buddy I’m sure will enjoy his down time and gentle riding :)

What size is Buddy? If large would do pm me and I’ll send them. They have done me a turn and I no longer use them. Even if you prefer new but want to try and see if they help before buying.
16hh high, he doesn't have big feet despite being a shire x, I would appreciate trying them as he is very lame today

Reactions: Toz
he was hobbling Saturday morning but not surprising given on Friday he did more trotting on a hard surface at the vets than he has done in six years with me......had a good blub. he was a little easier when he went out late afternoon, and came in this morning a bit better so hopefully all the concussion will wear off. we went to his show, only 3 in the class, he would have walked it. I had a chat to the judge beforehand and told him why he wasn't there, she has a 29 year old ROR. I think she would have liked him. I am going to keep a diary of how he is daily and what work if any we do with him so we can see how he goes and also ask the vet to put thinking cap on and see what options we have. we have one year of vets fees and £5000 to spend and I am going to spend it on anything that might help...

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com