Badly behaved cat

squidsin

Feb 16, 2013
One of my cats, Tilly, has taken to peeing in our walk in wardrobe or on anything soft left on our bedroom floor. As - despite me repeatedly telling him not to - my husband tends to chuck his clothes on the floor at night (guess who does the cleaning and tidying in our house?) this has resulted in him getting rather angry on several occasions! While I think the cat does it out of sympathy for me (ha!), I would like to stop her, really. Why does she do it and how do I stop her? She is a mainly indoors cat (just not all that interested in going outside) and has her dirtbox upstairs. She was a rescue and is very attached to me - and actually although she is scared of most humans (nobody in our family though) she is top of the animal pecking order in my house. Would Feliway or something help?

I don't know but I am sure you'll get lots of suggestions on here. My mother has house kitties - one sprays despite being neutered (is that the right term for Tom cats?!)
But yours is a she- cat. Hmm. Could she be feeling anxious? I know they can take to pooping in strange places if stressing over something. That is annoying someone throwing their clothes on the floor - I trained Mr T to shove his directly into the wash basket!!!

It could be that she has a medical problem going on, has she only just started doing it where previously she used her litter tray? My old cat did this when he had a urinary tract infection, which cats are prone too, might be worth a trip to the vet to rule out. Other than that have you changed anything like the litter that you use or something else around her home that's making her feel a bit insecure?

Reactions: Gimp
It could be that she has a medical problem going on, has she only just started doing it where previously she used her litter tray? My old cat did this when he had a urinary tract infection, which cats are prone too, might be worth a trip to the vet to rule out. Other than that have you changed anything like the litter that you use or something else around her home that's making her feel a bit insecure?

I don't think so. She does it more if we go away for weekends or on holiday - her face when we're packing is so sad and grumpy. But you can't take cats on holiday! My lodger feeds them but that isn't good enough for her! Sometimes she just randomly wees on something for no reason that I can fathom (the cat - not my lodger!) I need to get her innoculated anyway as she's never had any jabs (being a rescue - I've had her for a few months but she's only just been bequeathed to me permanently) so will get the vet to look her over.

Cats don't randomly keep peeing in places without a reason, she could be feeling anxious (has anything changed about her litter tray? one of ours will only use a particular type of litter, and if it's too deep he won't go in either) or have a UT Infection or kidney problems . It'll be hard to break the habit as your wardrobe will have an inviting smell now :( there's stuff in petshops to break down pee stains with enzymes which are quite good, I've also had success with boiling water and vinegar (depends on how much you value your carpets!).

newrider.com