balancers

IrishDQ

Mar 14, 2006
Ireland
How long does a bag of balancer last? I was thinking of getting some for Rolo as he is a very good doer and doesn't need feed, but I give him a couple of handfuls of grain so he's getting something, but I think a balancer would have a more concentrated amount of vitamins etc whereas the small amount of feed I give him probably isn't enough to give him sufficient vitamins etc...

anyway! as it's quite expensive I was just wondering how long a bag lasts as I believe you only have to feed a small amount? I asked at the feed shop and I think it was a 20kg bag...I can't remember what brand though :eek:

Ages! :D Can't think how long for definite but mine are both only on a handful of Top Spec Antilam a day to give their magnesium something to stick to. I bought the bag about 5 weeks ago and have barely scraped the surface. I'm not feeding at the recommended quantity though.

MY two are getting through a sack of blue-chip in about 6 weeks but am not feeding at as higher levels as they could be. This will probably go down to about 4 weeks in the winter as it will be upped (so one horse about 8 or so weeks?)

Im on to my second bag of top spec and im really impressed with it it lasted me just over 6 weeks and that for a 17hh irish draught. Coat, hooves, Muscle development and temprement are second to none id totally recommend top spec. You can also get the leisure time one which is abit cheaper too.

Go to your feed merchants with a calculator. Work out how much you need to feed on a daily basis and divide the bag weight by that amount :)

I remeber the first time I bought Bailey's Lo Cal I nearly fainted at the price, but on the maintainance amount for my 2 on light work or resting it really does last a long time :cool:

Badminton Evenkeel is the one I've always used and my horse looks good on it, plus it's only £12 or £13 a 20kg bag. A bag lasts about 4 weeks in winter and ages longer in summer!:D

Baileys Lo Cal

Great, does the right thing, has worked well on my 5yo and lasts ages, and I know that he has all that he needs, and he thinks he has had a feed! Baileys are great for advice too, so worth a chat to them on their feed line.

I used to have an ex racer who was underweight and used Top Spec Balancer for him and again was wonderful. He needed other feed though (Hi Fi) and Dengie do a balancer for their own feed now too. Lots to choose from but can definately recomment Baileys and Top Spec. Good luck choosing.

Abs was on Top spec comprehensive lasted her 7 weeks, just changed to Top spec Lite cos shes a fattie, winters coming so expect it to last the same only a few more things added to it all top spec of course, the change is amazing totally recommed Top spec

Using Topspec Antilam. 20kg bag at £35.

11.3 welshie. 250grams per day (two teacups).

therefore one kilo = 4 days, therefore 20kg = 80 days.

He only gets it in spring and autumn so 6 weeks now and will still have 6 weeks for next spring.

A large horse would get 500grams per day and would therefore last half the time, ring and ask feedmerchant to check back of bag for you.

newrider.com