bare back riding

hOrSe_sEnSe

Dec 7, 2007
when bare back riding is it possible to rise trot or would that gig into the horse skin by constantly trying to push yourself up? wen trotting seated, is it harder wen the saddle isnt in use?

How OLD are you?

It is possible to rise to the trot without stirrups - aches a lot but it can be done. You don't dig your toes into the horse's side to lever yourself up, you lever yourself a little way off the back using your thighs and hips and core muscles. To be perfectly honest, I don't see the point of trying to rise when riding bareback. Sitting trot is easier without stirrups than with stirrups, and easier bareback than with a saddle. Canter is easier than trot when riding bareback, though.

It is possible to do rising trot without effecting the horse whilst riding bareback. My friend and i do cross country bareback and personally we skip the trot all together, walk and canter the two most comfortable paces. Prince is really bouncey so sitting trot isn't much fun without a saddle and my friends horse has very high withers again not fun.:D

Like the other 2 said, you can do rising trot bareback but I agree with Sammii I tend to miss out on trot! Canter is so much easier to sit to! :p

Hehe!!! I find it's quite relevant when I'm trying to trot round corners bareback sometimes!!! :p;):D

I'm slightly concerned that everyone seems to think rising trot is a mechanical effort. The movement of the horse should provide the momentum that takes you out of the saddle - effectively it is a controlled "bump" where the rider uses their muscles purely to control the movement, not really to *create* it ?

So the only thing the saddle does is provide support for that controlled movement. The lower leg is stable - so the stirrup does help provide the rider with a point to rise from - which is why rising trot w/o stirrups is harder.

Providing of course, you can get on the bareback horse! I tried from a mounting block and still could not get my, er, excuse the phrase here, 'leg over!'

My friend did manage to get on and went straight over the other side, onto the floor!

I'm slightly concerned that everyone seems to think rising trot is a mechanical effort. The movement of the horse should provide the momentum that takes you out of the saddle - effectively it is a controlled "bump" where the rider uses their muscles purely to control the movement, not really to *create* it ?

So the only thing the saddle does is provide support for that controlled movement. The lower leg is stable - so the stirrup does help provide the rider with a point to rise from - which is why rising trot w/o stirrups is harder.

Completely agree with this.

All I do is let the horses movement rock me slightly - I don't rise, I just rock with my hips and pelvis.

I agree with others...should be using the horse's motion to push you into the post (wrong term...but can't think of a better phrase). However...if you need to post on a horse with very smoother short strides, you have to work harder.

Posting without stirrups and bareback is harder, but it is great for the muscles and for the leg position.

I also want to make the comment - you think posting is bad? My trainer decided I was out of shape (which I kind of am)...so had to riding in half-seat without stirrups and then bareback. That's...interesting

I think that riding bareback is easier to sit at all gaits... but more slippery.. I love riding bareback because knowing that there is no tack to bother your horse.. the control is all up to you.. its never the horses fault:)

Attachments

• i234718924_40504.jpg
    i234718924_40504.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 6
newrider.com