Bareback saddle pads

Prjsmk

Dec 1, 2017
Shows me yours and if you can leave a link...

Struggling like mad to find a saddle to fit my cob, had a good chunk of money aside to have one made to fit his shape but thats all gone on vet bills and he changes shape so much! His current saddle isnt slipping its twisting, its stays put over the right side but goes back on the left, which make it look likes its slipped but it actually hasnt, just twisted (if u see what i mean) forever stopping on hacks to undo the girth etc and set it back in place, his back is checked regular and never have as any back issues but does end up with a tight left shoulder, i assume thats where it moves alot!

So untill. Manage to rebulk the savings i was looking at getting a bareback saddle pad and going bareback, for long hacks we usually just walk the whole way and we have a few long routes coming up so i 'think' this could be a good idea.

i did a bit of reading up and i did see somewhere the ones with the stirrups put pressure on the back with weight in the stirrups as they cause it to pull along a certain part of the back..... Soo show me your bareback pads/saddles please

I don't know much about these type of saddles but I'd like to throw a thought in because recent research has shown that most cases of saddle movement are due to hind limb lameness that can be too slight to see. If that's the case I suspect you'll have a problem whatever you use. I also don't understand how one side of the saddle is staying in place but the other isn't, do you have a twisted or broken tree? The sides of the saddle are joined, one side can't move without the other also moving.

If by bareback pads you mean treeless then Newforest has a lot of experience with these, but I suspect the better ones aren't cheap & I've always had slight doubts when people say that one will fit anything & everything.

Echo Carthorse re one side twisting and the other not being impossible unless broken or twisted tree.

're bareback pads. Barefoot and Baretek are my favourite as they don't have girth straps that go directly over the back but the Christ pads are also very well designed. I would never use stirrups with a bareback pad for 2 reasons. Pressure and slippage. I use a treeless pad with my bareback pad as it gives cushioning and spine clearance for longer times in the saddle.

Reactions: Prjsmk
I don't know much about these type of saddles but I'd like to throw a thought in because recent research has shown that most cases of saddle movement are due to hind limb lameness that can be too slight to see. If that's the case I suspect you'll have a problem whatever you use. I also don't understand how one side of the saddle is staying in place but the other isn't, do you have a twisted or broken tree? The sides of the saddle are joined, one side can't move without the other also moving.

If by bareback pads you mean treeless then Newforest has a lot of experience with these, but I suspect the better ones aren't cheap & I've always had slight doubts when people say that one will fit anything & everything.

No not treeless....

the left part of the front of the saddle ends up going back, pushing the back end of the saddle to the right making it look like the whole saddles slipped to the right, of course i assume the right end goes forward slightly too... But the issue is its twisting not actually slipping over to the right, the saddle moving is caused by it going back front left first off... He is at times lazy on his back end, which ive explaing on here before, had checks etc, he uses his front end and thats really bulky and muscley compared to the back end, advised to do hill work and pole work to help this, hill work we have done, pole work we started but currently cant use our school, once it's available again pole work will also be done, its an on going thing, on days where hes really forward hes perfect and strides perfectly along using all 4 legs, on lazy days he uses his front legs and even forgets he has them ;)

@Jessey clean bum is always good! Lol. I looked at them, didnt know stirrups could come off them. I was some cushioning on his spine, for peace of mind... Poor animal lugging me around the countryside most days

@Jessey clean bum is always good! Lol. I looked at them, didnt know stirrups could come off them. I was some cushioning on his spine, for peace of mind... Poor animal lugging me around the countryside most days
Those have a bit of padding but I wouldn't rely on them to give much protection

I had a best friends pad (until the mice ate it :(). When I was waiting a few months for a saddle we did everything in it including hacking. No stirrups but the suede material meant it was grippy. A few highland pony folk use the thorn pads but they are pricey.

newrider.com