Barefoot Trimmimng Video

I

india

I've come across this listing on eBay and would be interested to read other opinions on the video.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BareFoot-Hoof...9QQihZ019QQcategoryZ72601QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

My initial opinion is....a lot of injuries could occur due to inexperienced owners attempting to trim their horses feet after watching the video - or am I over reacting? :confused:

ETA: ooops, excuse the spelling in the title - a couple of glasses of wine to many, me thinks!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yes, the 'learn how to trim in 10 minutes' DVD :rolleyes:

Irresponsible in my opinion. Like any practical skill you need to learn by DOING in addition to having the theoretical knowledge. There is NO WAY that you can learn to trim using this DVD ... not correctly anyway! I 'tidy up' Saffy's hooves between trims but I still use an EP to do the balancing at regular intervals. I don't know enough to do that. Unfortunately there are people out there who will watch the DVD and think that they know what they're doing :eek:

The comments say it all:

I have just bought the DVD yesterday and have already trimmed my pony's hooves! He was my guinea pig! I will trim my big boy next. After 30 years of having horses, I've always just left the hooves to the 'experts'. Not any more. I've got to say the DVD is excellent, well done QS. At half the cost of a farrier, it's a good investment.

Great ... watch one, do one and use your own horse as a guinea pig :rolleyes:

I know that there are owners out there who choose to do their own trimming for whatever reason. Some of them are doing a great job, some not so good and some are making a right mess of it. The ones doing the great job, however, are the ones that have done the research and don't think that they can just go out and trim after watching a DVD that lasts less than 2 hours :mad:

It's stuff like this that gets barefoot a bad name and the impression that barefoot trimmers just do a weekend course!!!

Last edited:
I've no problem with owners trimming their own horses if they know what they are doing but it takes a lot more than watching that cr*ppy DVD to know what you are doing and be good enough to trim a horse.

I'd rather pay the full cost of a farrier and have the trimming done properly. It would take rather more training than just watching a video to learn to trim correctly.​

Oh yes, the Dremel. There are a few people who use power tools to trim. It makes me uneasy if I'm honest.

My first problem with it is that it's too easy to take too much with a Dremel. I know that I've managed to put a rasp mark somewhere it shouldn't have been when Saffy decided to move, imagine what would have happened if I'd have been using a Dremel :eek:

My other issue is that (to my logic) the 'grind' is going to be the wrong way with a Dremel isn't it? It's going to grind 'in' rather than across and surely by that very process is going to potentially take too much off.

Maybe I just don't 'get' it.

Whether the Dremel is a useful tool to the pros or not, though, I certainly wouldn't want someone using it to trim after watching the 'trim in 10 minutes' DVD :eek:

omg.. the very idea..

I DO trim myself - after a lot of guidance/support from my farrier - who I still have out fairly regularly. I probably spent 40 hours under him before I started going it alone...

LOL I am not even sure I could fully asses what needs doing to my horses in 10 mins.

Do I think a dremel could be useful.. yes, I use them on my dogs all the time am I there yet for the horses.. nope. I do to much by feel and a dremel just doesn't have "feel" to it. I would be curious to know how they are using it specificaly. But some total novice who watched 2 hours of video with a power tool near a horses foot..wholly cracker jacks no thanks!!

newrider.com