barn sour, gate sour and inseparable pairs

ridehorses

Summer Days
Dec 8, 2002
Mississippi, USA
www.xanga.com
So, I've had Cotton and Trigger for about a month now. They're turned out together in a fairly large, grass-filled pasture 24/7, except when they come in to eat twice a day.
For those who don't know, Cotton's a 7 year old, 16 hh appaloosa/palomino gelding and Trigger's a 9 year old welsh pony who was formerly abused and is not broke. I gave them a week to settle when they arrived, then i started riding cotton daily out in our 28 acre hay field.
At first it was slow work, getting used to each other and it was good. After a while, we moved on to tougher work, walk - trot - canter, circles, etc. After a few days of real "work" he started refusing to go out into the hay field with out throwing a tantrum (backing up up up, and NOT stopping backing when i ask him to go towards the field until i take off leg pressure) We end up having a big argument, and when i finally get him out in the field, he's always bending + leaning back in the direction of the barn and trigger.
I don't have anywhere formal to ride, and when i try to ride him in the pasture, it's the same thing. He puts up an argument going away from the gate, and as soon as i get him away from it, he tries to turn and bolt back towards it.

Any advice on getting him to leave the barn/gate/trigger more willingly and safely? I can't even work with him when all that's on his mind is the barn. It's more of a big arguement then a ride.

I'm sure I remember you saying that their owner is very helpful and approachable - I'd ask him his advice, and ask if Cotton's ever done this before. Maybe the owner could come watch you ride?

have you been working him "properly" every ride? if so he may just be bored of it and need another little spell of fun gentle rides. also is there anyone else you could possibly ride with (even someone walking if nothing else is possible) so that riding doesn't always mean going off on his own? also i wouldn't try to fight him to make him work properly if he's fighting you - just ask him to go forward where you want then quietly back. i'd try to disassociate the fight from "work" as far as possible otherwise, once this problem is solved, he may still be unwilling to work. sorry, this probably isn't much help, mine went through a period of refusing to split up but it was nearly always the one who was left behind who made the enormous fuss. the time poppy tried to bolt back to the yard on a little hack i calmed her down then jumped off, led for a couple of paces and then jumped back on, making it very clear that she was not charging back to the yard and that the more she rushed the slower we were going, and the more times she tried to stop at the gate the more times she walked past it . . . got the message eventually!

wish i had 28 acres to ride in, btw!!:D

newrider.com