Base layer top/waterproof breeches

TBminx

Mar 22, 2013
I really want one for the winter to wear under my hoodies etc and was wondering which anyone would recommend as so many makes??

Would this keep me warm enough to ditch the coat on the gallops so could ride with less bulk in layers and hoody and body protector??

I want waterproof breeches not overtrousers which have for riding in the rain and only ones I found are quite expensive so want to know if worth it??

What ones can anyone recommend that are breeches or jodphurs that are water proof and not pull on overtrousers??

I have got some breeches described as waterproof, windproof and breathable, which they probably are... they also are insuficiently stretchy - there is no give at all and a bit too tight for my slightly generous calves. They do have great pockets though!
If you are the right shape I expect they are probably a great buy, it's just that for me, they're the wrong shape realistically even though I really want to like them more.
Moral of the story - try them on first!!

Hum, I only have the thick over trousers that are fleece lined and waterproof.

Have you tried covering your face with those riding balaclavas? It would help as a base layer and often gets forgotten, adding racing goggles stops your eyes watering.

As for the op question I have mountain horse as a base layer top and bottoms, but haven't actually needed yet.

Last edited:
I wear thermal tights and primark stretchy long sleeve t shirts under my stuff the t shirts are only about £4 but so so warm :) as for waterproof jods no idea I always wore my trusty suede full chaps when riding the point to pointers never got wet unless it was torrential after 3 rides :)

Yes I liked the mountain horse ones :biggrin:

I have a balaclava for the gallops and goggles which bought for the kickback when in the back row lol :giggle:

Discovered it when didnt ride our Annie as she is always in the front row :giggle:

Yeh I kept it firmly shut and kept closing my eyes as if gonna get sand in them despite goggles lol but couldnt see anyway zooming around at speed trusting horse to go right direction :help:

I was covered and had to shower when got home cos sand everywhere :redface:

I def prefer riding in the front row cos my lips stung for days it was quite painful but funny to look in the mirror afterwards :wink:

Have had Splash brand jodhs a few years ago which are waterproof - OH still has some denim ones which he loves.
As for base layers - I love the look of the Mountain Horse ones but couldn't afford them so opted for Robinson's own Requisite brand - which I've found very useful and half the price.

For base layers I go to sports direct and look in the ski wear section or type in base layer in the search box on line. Its a lot cheaper and I keep nice and warm.

I wear Millets thermal tops and thermal long johns under my jods for really cold days. I have waterproof chaps as well, but they are bulky to ride in. These days if it is pouring with rain, I tend to just get soaked and change into dry clothes as soon as I am back on the ground. I tend not to notice the rain while I am riding and can't stand to be wearing so many layers that I can't move.

Base layer I wear are icebreaker merino wool, super warm but pricey! However they have lasted me four years now and still going strong.
Waterproof breeches, well, I've just been trialling some for my friend who works for a budget supermarket in product development and they are fantastic! Had to give them back now and I'm missing them already, definitely will get a pair but all the ones I've seen so far are very expensive so may have to go on my Christmas list this year. I would say though if the one's I've tried are anything to go by they are definitely worth it.

For my base later I have Joules brass monkey thermal underwear. Stretchy and cosy!!
For winter breeches I have the Mark Todd winter breeches. Super stretchy, comfy, high waisted, pockets, windproof and waterproof. Made of thicker material. Had mine for 5years now!! Getting a new pair for Xmas... Yay!! Not cheap tho (£80) but I think they are worth it for keeping my legs warm to help with all my leg issues.

OOOOOOH lots of ideas for base layers for xmas presie for me :giggle:

Yeah I dont mind getting wet when i ride so much as being wet afterwards and usually just change into dry clothes but I get the cold easily so thought prefer to keep dry if can although I too hate loads of layers and feeling like cant move :poop:

newrider.com