Bats

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Never before have I seen bats at the yard but this evening around 7pm I was down the end of Ales field when one flew right above my head.

And as if one wasn't enough when I got back onto the yard there were 2 flying about above the stable roof.

Love watching them fly about, my grandparents live by a small river with a huge bridge over and I used to watch them fly there all the time when I was younger.

Anyone else a bat fan? Do you get many?

I have loads at the yard, they are always very active at dusk. I stood quietly watching them a few weeks ago and after several very near misses I had to make a hasty retreat, I know they would never hit anything (me) but they were getting damn close to me :p

Reactions: MrA
I love bats, when we first moved to our house we used to get a summer migration roost in our walls, each year there would be more and at the last count we had almost 200! Sad me used to sit in the garden early evening and watch them coming out of the vents in the wall, you could hear them for about half an hour before they started to fly out.
Then the old house opposite across the canal got bought by a developer and demolished, of course they did a bat survey but ‘no sign of any bats or roosts present’ and our bats have never been back since :(
If I sat in my bathroom window I could have touched them as they left the roost, I miss them.
We do get lots at the yard though :D

Yep we get quite a few. They bombard me when im out in the early evening doing the horses or the sheep. Floss will often chase them around when they fly past here. She runs round the field or garden giving out little whimpers, if you didnt know she was chasing bats youd think she was just a loopy dog.
Our have been out all winter but with this warm spell there will be more waking up and coming out of the hillside crags.

I love them too. They roost behind the wooden boards that line the wall of the barn behind Raf's stable. They've only come out of hibernation this last week, think they should have plenty to eat though, the midges have been abundant the last couple of days!

Reactions: MrA and Trewsers
We don't have any that I know of. However at both our other houses we had loads. I used to have some that slept clinging to the inset part of the window at the top of the stairs. Lol first time I spotted one, it made me jump lol I thought it was a mouse or something then realised it was mr bat.
At our last house there were lots too and we spent many an evening watching them.

Reactions: MrA and Bodshi
Love bats - we get them in the garden :). They fly along the rows of houses - they do 2 or 3 circuits in each garden than hop over into the next one.

Reactions: Trewsers and MrA
I love bats, when we first moved to our house we used to get a summer migration roost in our walls, each year there would be more and at the last count we had almost 200! Sad me used to sit in the garden early evening and watch them coming out of the vents in the wall, you could hear them for about half an hour before they started to fly out.
Then the old house opposite across the canal got bought by a developer and demolished, of course they did a bat survey but ‘no sign of any bats or roosts present’ and our bats have never been back since :(
If I sat in my bathroom window I could have touched them as they left the roost, I miss them.
We do get lots at the yard though :D

What a terrible shame

Hopefully there will be more of them tonight! A perk of having set times to be up the yard and have to say the evenings and mornings have been gorgeous, really spoilt me lately.

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
We see pipistrelles sometimes flitting about the garden in the summer evenings, and I see bigger bats over in the field, but I can't identify them

newrider.com