Battery powered water pump.

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
Has anyone used them to shift water from one place to another when you have neither running water or electricity available? Something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

In the field that I am now using, there is a very strong natural spring coming up though an old pipe in one of the ditches and merrily wasting away along into a stream and then onward to the loch. I was wondering if I put something like a big water tub under the spring I could then use one of these pumps to transfer the water to a point more convenient for me to fill their water trough further over the field.

Is this feasible does anyone know or is it a mad idea? I cant just hook up some pipes to the trough as they lie on higher land that the ditch with the spring in it.:unsure:

Anyone with a modern caravan or motor home will have used something like this to fill the inboard tank or go straight to tap from the external barrel.

They can be extremely slow to pump but are effective enough on caravans if you get a decent powered one with good flow rate.

Thanks JC - very dumb question but how do I know if it is a powerful one or not? How is the power measured in the adverts for them do you know? I will happily pay a couple of hundred if it does the job, to save carting water up and down the track. But I really don't know what I am looking at, and Mr. C is even less technically literate with this sort of thing than I am!:eek:

I haven't looked at the listing in detail but you need to think about how much water you are going to want to pump at a time, I think in terms of tub trug amounts to picture it in my own mind as I'm rubbish at litres!

Then ask the seller what amount of water it will pump.

Another complication is pumping up hill.

Go for the best flow rate you can afford.

Thanks - I think I might go off to the camping/caravan place and see what they have and explain roughly what I need. I can only envisage roughly half of one of my field barrels per day...I am sure that really isnt accurate enough for someone totally unhorsey.:giggle: I shall measure tomorrow exactly how much we are manually tipping in for them so that I might at least sound vaguely like I know what I am on about!:bounce:

newrider.com