BE80 events - do horses or ponies need 4 shoes

pepsimaxrock

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
I am seriously considering entering M on a day ticket for a BE80 event. I have heard he needs 4 shoes, and he currently only has fronts.

I can't find this rule in the book, can anyone help me if it is true or not>

He is 17 and only used to fronts, if I can avoid putting back shoes on him I will

It would be great if you could let me know, many many thanks, A.

I find it VERY unlikely that the event itself insists on the horse having shoes,I'm not sure they could actually insist on that TBH,would be very unreasonable if they did.

Read your other thread as well and notice someone else is competing him for you,was it them who told you he needs to be shod all round??

The only thing I can think of is that some people might think they need the extra grip of studs?? Not sure if you would or not,and maybe wouldn't need them all round,but I know very little about it TBH so don't take my word for it,is just only thing I can think of as to why would need shoes to take part.

See my reply to your previous thread! No rule, I assume the potential rider feels they may need studs, but if you choose course and ground conditions carefuly competing without shoes can actually be safer!!

Edited to add that my knowledge of the rules are out of date but you used to have to be 15hh or have special permission to compete BE ...may not apply to the newer lower levels however. There are a lot of unaffiliated events held over BE courses so you could do one of those if it is easier!

Last edited:
I have a friend (used to be on here) who events barefoot all round, she tends to pick venues with good going and does fine, but I think she would consider shoeing doing bigger tracks against the clock. You'll probably be fine without if it's a lower level event.

There is a rider that does very well at affiliated BE100/1* round here (Burnham Market/Houghton/Great Witchingham etc.) and her horse isn't shod at all! Doesn't seem to matter what the ground is like either. Burnham and Witchingham can be quite hard too...

Mind you, the horse is huge and you can feel it coming form a mile off so guessing not having studs doesn't hinder it :D

Last edited:
See my reply to your previous thread! No rule, I assume the potential rider feels they may need studs, but if you choose course and ground conditions carefuly competing without shoes can actually be safer!!

Edited to add that my knowledge of the rules are out of date but you used to have to be 15hh or have special permission to compete BE ...may not apply to the newer lower levels however. There are a lot of unaffiliated events held over BE courses so you could do one of those if it is easier!

Just looked into this as potentially could cause an issue with the Fat Poneh - after trwling through countless pages, found this:

Does my horse need to be a certain size and age?
Horses must exceed 150cm in height (without shoes) and ponies must be a minimum of 142cms (without shoes). The minimum age for any equine is 5 years (although 4 year olds can compete in BE80 classes from May onwards in their fourth year, 6 to do Junior Regional Novice classes and 7 to do Advanced). Ponies may compete up to Intermediate level.
So my Fat Poneh just (literally) scrapes in for horses, but pepsimaxrocks, you'll need to enter as a pony...

where in the rules is the height stuff, I just can't find it? I thought it was 142 cm minimum height .... and 142 cm is 13.98hh .... (phew) ....

BUT does a pony need a child rider? If so we are stuffed...

Last edited:
Horses need to be 150, ponies 142 but like you I cannot find out if adults can ride ponies...however I would contact BE!! Make sure you are not likely to be aiming for an event which people are frequently balloted out for as I think day tickets take lowest priority.

Thanks E, there are very few BE80's in the North so balloting might be a problem, especially as my rider (who is a BE member) will be riding 2 day-ticket ponies (if she is allowed, as a 21 year old...)!

newrider.com