Beginner - keeping the horse trotting/leg aids

lucycw

I just had my second riding lesson today, I used to ride about 10/12 years ago but obviously I've been away for a long time, I'm older, my legs aren't as strong and I'm not as flexible and athletic as I was when I was 10! :p Today I was practicing trotting on my own without any lunge or the instructor encouraging the horse. At first I was having problems getting my horse to trot at all and when I was getting her trotting I couldn't keep her going! I did improve and by the end of the lesson I was getting her trotting more easily and managing to keep her going for a lot longer but I got a bit teary eyed at the end, I don't know why, I think I was just frustrated because I was trying so hard but it was so much to try and do all at the same time and I couldn't do what I wanted to do! My instructor is really nice and encouraging but I'm really hard on myself!

I think my main issues was keeping her going, trying to give leg aids and do rising trot at the same time. Rising trot is one of the things that I seem to have remembered pretty well and I think that on it' own is quite good, it's just the rising and keeping the horse going at the same time that's causing problems! My legs seemed to keep sliding forward and I think I wasn't keeping my heels down because my feet were sometimes sliding forward in the stirrups as well and this was making it more difficult. Then we kept cutting off corners or stopping on the corners because I seem to have it ingrained in me that I guide her round the corner of the menage with the rein instead of just looking where I'm going and obviously the minute I move the rein she thinks I want her to stop trotting!

I think the biggest thing at the moment is using my legs anytime, walking or trotting, I'm not sure how much I should be using my legs to keep her going because it feels like she wants to slow down at every opportunity so I feel like I'm having to kick/squeeze/whatever constantly! :p

My instructor said that I did really really well, but I'm naturally very hard on myself and I can see what I'm doing wrong but I continue to keep doing it! Does anyone have any tips to help me out or will it just come with practice? I know riding isn't easy, otherwise anyone would just be able to get on a horse and ride it and I'm not expecting to be able to do everything in one lesson but I thought someone might have some tips and guidance that helped when they were learning!

Last edited:
Riding school horses are a total pain for this, and it can be so disheartening when you're a beginner. The problem is that the quietest, safest horses that they use for new starters are also also usually the least responsive - they become that way from years of being ridden by beginners (not the beginners' fault - they've got to ride something!).

TBH I really think its easier to learn on a horse that you're not constantly having to kick on. You will get better at keeping the horse moving though, as you develop better feel and timing. It's also quite hard to use your legs effectively when your seat isn't that secure, and it sounds like you're having this problem to an extent as well.

Your horse shouldn't stop just because you pick up a contact! Steering is a combination of your seat, legs and the outside rein to control the shoulder but I wouldn't worry about this too much at the moment, as most RS horses will follow the track anyway and you'll learn all the subtleties later. It may be though that you are balancing on the reins more than you realise which may mean you are pulling - try to take a light contact right from the beginning and be aware that it stays the same - you shouldn't have to pull back ever.

The way to get a horse to be more responsive is to ask quietly for them to trot, then ask with a firm nudge and then a tap with the stick (if you have one) if you still get no response. Your horse should keep the pace itself until you ask to stop and if not you should repeat the process. It sounds like you are having to nag with your legs which you should never do - always try to keep your leg neutral till you feel horse slowing down then ask him to keep it up using the process above. I wouldn't expect you to be carrying a stick at this stage, but you could still use the same principle by making sure your leg is off, then ask lightly then sharply for speed up and take your leg off again straight away when you do get a response.
It will help if you maintain this principle in walk at the beginning of the lesson as well - i.e. always expect your horse to walk in a lively manner of his own accord, and be consistent in correcting him if he starts to plod. Hopefully he would cotton on to the fact that you mean it and the trotting might improve!

Oh dear this is very long isn't it. anyway, if your RI says you're doing well believe her. The whole thing will get easier as a) you develop better timing b) your seat gets more secure and c) you get to ride a more responsive horse.

I hope it goes well!!!!

TEmily what a wonderful post I was sat wondering how to put it into words.

Lucy this is your second lesson the fact you are on rising trot again so soon is fab on it's own just relax and stop beating yourself up over it.

When I compete with the RAF station I am at we are given our horses 1/4 an hour before we have to complete a dressage test then a show jumping course!!!!

They are always RS horses and I use the same method TEmily discribed. I ask once with my legs if no response I ask again and back up with a schooling whip/crop and mean it (I dont mean beat it). No messing straight in with the 'I am the boss and I know what I am asking of you so do it...please'.

Good luck keep us informed

Thank you both! :)

TEmily I think you're right, I think Apple is very much a beginner horse who's very slow and sturdy and likes to walk! It took a lot to get her to trot the first couple of times and as the lesson went on I think she got the idea that she was going to have to be doing a lot of trotting so was a bit more responsive! I think maybe i've ridden more responsive horses in the past because I don't remember having to put so much effort into trying to get the horse to do something, or maybe I just have a worse memory than I thought!

My instructor did give me a stick when I was having some problems and so I was nudging and tapping her with the stick, but towards the end of the lesson I tried to just use my legs because the stick was just another thing to think about, having to swap which hand I had it in everytime we changed the rein!

What you've said is basically what I was learning in the lesson, you're right I just need to work on my timing and noticing when the horse is slowing, in both walk and trot and probably my confidence as well with showing Apple that I'm in charge and she's going to trot even if she just feels like having a nice leisurely walk! :p I will definitely try what you said about keeping my leg neutral and then correcting her and taking my leg away. Don't worry about the long post, it was really really helpful!

Thanks OwnedbyChanter, I guess I just don't know what pace people generally learn to ride at and what people normally do in their first few lessons! I will definitely try and work on my confidence and being the boss!

My next lesson is on Friday morning so I'm sure I'll be back with an update!

I remember being taught to squeeze with my legs every time I sat [when doing rising trot], once you get the rhythm going it's quite easy...

I think TEmily said it best!

I found when returning to riding, a lot of it was re-awakening the muscle memory - particularly when it came to my lower leg - my first few lessons back they were shooting every which way! An old friend told me to stand on a step with your heels sticking off the end, shoulder-width-ish apart and using your legs squat up and down. You have to keep your body in alignment otherwise you will tip forward or fall back. I found that quite useful at getting the muscles going again!!

My first lesson back I was put on this (to put it bluntly) short fat yet charming cob who was so dead to the leg it was exhausting! But I follow the principle that TEmily said - nudge, firmer nudge, remind with stick!

Good luck :D

I've just come back to riding too and share a very lazy cob. I could barely get him to trot when I started riding him. I've only had one lesson on him so far but it made a big difference - before I had been nagging with my legs and only tapping with the whip but the instructor (who knows Harvey from when he spent some time at a RS) said no, you have to mean it, as OwnedByChanter said - if he is ignoring your leg aids, you have to follow it up straight away with the whip and be firm. Harvey is going loads better for me and paying much more attention since I started following this advice and we actually had a little canter on Saturday! Once he's trotting I give the occasional squeeze with my legs at the sitting part of rising (if you know what I mean) but not every beat.

Also I have found Harvs responds quite well to voice commands. He was in a RS for a while so not very off the leg but if I make a 'clicking' noise as I ask for trot he perks up.

Oh and I use lightweight stirrups like these http://www.ingatestonesaddlery.co.u...ps/Irons/Thorowgood-Tuff-Stirrups-100947.Aspx which move with your feet so your feet don't slide about as much. I recommended them to minkersmum on here and she also found them helpful (and uses them at her RS) so maybe worth a shot!

Thanks for all the tips and recommendations everyone! I had my third lesson today and we think that my progress is going to be slow and a lot of my problems are down to my leg muscles being extremely tight (which I already knew, I used to do a lot of running and leg weights which hasn't really helped!) so I'm finding it hard to position my leg correctly, relax them and keep them where they need to be! I think I was getting there by the end of the lesson, practicing widening my hips, keeping my knee relaxed and my leg correctly positioned. My instructor has said that my right leg is worse than my left leg, I think I need to take up yoga or pilates or something!

I did actually manage to do do a circuit or two today without stopping which I was pleased with and we did some trotting without stirrups too. I find sitting trot so much easier and am so much more relaxed doing that, which is the complete opposite to in the past where I found sitting trot a nightmare! I was a lot less stressy this lesson and my instructor is so lovely and encouraging.

Next week I'm having an hour lesson and we're going to spend half an hour hacking to try and relax me a bit and get more confidence, she says I'm very cautious at the moment! I think she's right, some time spent hacking where I can relax and focus on just riding rather than learning and me constantly trying to correct my mistakes will do me the world of good. I have a tendency to overthink everything and I think that's half the trouble!

Apple wasn't wonderfully well behaved, there was a group lesson using the other half of the school and she kept trying to veer over there and show off! :p

I go back to work the week after next and they don't do private lessons at weekends so I'll need to join a group lesson which is a bit scary! My instructor said that she's just been working with a woman who's similar to me, has just come back to riding after a long time and is having the same trouble as me, finding it more difficult than she remembered! We discussed a group and the group she suggested has this other lady in it so that'll be nice, someone to share my pain! It might help to be in a group lesson and actually be able to see other people and how they're doing things.

I think I might start a learning to ride blog, it'll be nice to look back on all of this in the future when this seems like nothing!

Last edited:
As someone who has gone back to riding albeit about 2 yrs now. I had no option but go go in a group lesson. Luckily we are all around the same ability different ages 11, 12,16,38,44, The oldies are me and another lady and the others are boys. We all get on really well. the lads come with their mums who we get on with and we can have a laugh together. I definately think practice, practice, practice and if you can have the odd private lesson. I do this when it is the school hols (only because i don't work then). I also don't feel as self concious in a group lesson as someone isn't watching you all the time.

As someone who has gone back to riding albeit about 2 yrs now. I had no option but go go in a group lesson. Luckily we are all around the same ability different ages 11, 12,16,38,44, The oldies are me and another lady and the others are boys. We all get on really well. the lads come with their mums who we get on with and we can have a laugh together. I definately think practice, practice, practice and if you can have the odd private lesson. I do this when it is the school hols (only because i don't work then). I also don't feel as self concious in a group lesson as someone isn't watching you all the time.

Thanks Pharoah, I didn't think about the fact that the eyes won't always be on me all the time! I guess I'm just worried that I'm going to keep messing up and being singled out, but I'm sure it won't be like that! I think that's a general fear I have about all group activities so at least this should help me get over that!

That's the only downside of horse riding is that I don't have my own horse so the only time I'm riding is in lessons. I'm trying to make up for that by doing lots of reading and doing other exercises but I guess nothing beats being in the saddle!

I agree with all the comments above, I am one of the worlds worst for bieng a nagger and it gets me in trouble all the time! I just want to add one thing, when you have a lesson its for fun!! Enjoy it, relax, smile and laugh! Don't focus too hard on one thing and try more to focus on where your going and forget about your position, I often find this translates into a much more natural seat and responsive horse!

Keep going you'll get there, just have fun doing it!

x

I used to find trot difficult to maintain, but it does get easier with experience. My instructor told me to stop battling with the horse, and just relax and "dance with him". That mindset has helped me a lot since.

I dont think going for a half hour hack before lesson is sensible AT ALL. If you are struggling with control now, it is the worst thing for instructor to advise. What if horse takes off, shies, etc. ????

Stay in the ring until you have cantered and had a shy in there first.

I have a problem relaxing the muscles in my legs and find that either not using stirrups or having them very long helps. I only use them to catch me if I go sideways for any reason, otherwise they are just for resting my toes in. (I cant do heal down, as that tenses my legs immediately).

Use your mind and internal energy to make the horse go forward without constantly kicking. This is called using your 'focus'. Horse should feel it and respond. Look in the distance and aim at getting to the next corner as quick as you can, i.e. your mind is already there and your body just catching up.:)

Make sure you practice bringing your energy and focus down so you are not constantly jigging the horse up and find you cannot stop. :eek:

Hope this helps.

Hi! I am horse lover, and I have been ridding for about two years. I am training I have been training this horse for three months but I still can't keep her at a trot any hints.

I dont think going for a half hour hack before lesson is sensible AT ALL. If you are struggling with control now, it is the worst thing for instructor to advise. What if horse takes off, shies, etc. ????

Stay in the ring until you have cantered and had a shy in there first.

I don't think you should be too scared about hacking, not if your RI suggests it. Most riding-school horses take their confidence from the group, and they're very unlikely to shy or to take off - and they wouldn't give one of those to a beginner to ride anyway. Don't be scared about group lessons either; as Pharaoh said, there's quite a lot of relaxing saddle time, where you're watching other people do things - you can learn a lot from watching, too and it's very encouraging to know that other people make the same mistakes as you do.

Hi! I am horse lover, and I have been ridding for about two years. I am training I have been training this horse for three months but I still can't keep her at a trot any hints.

Hi, Horse love and welcome to the forum. Three months is not a very long time in training a horse; are you having any lessons with the horse?

Yes, LindaAd I only have lessons. Because I am not allowed to ride alone because I am only 12, and my real name is Lacy. The horse I ride is called Dixie. I want her to go forward and she won't.

Thanks for the reply, Lacy. You might be our youngest member! It's good that you're having lessons - what does your instructor say about getting Dixie to go forward?

Like others above I can through tactics, transitions and five minutes left to myself with a pony, get a RS horse moving on without constant leg cueing. However, to be fair to you beginners, my first RI at a standard BHS approved school told me that their beginner horses were trained not to move on unless cued at each step. She was horrified I had picked up what she regarded as an American idea that my horse should keep going till asked to stop. She said that was dangerous.

LindaAd, she says to hold the pressure of my legs on her side and when I feel her stop squeeze harder and if she stops to kick really hard until she will go. (this horse never bucks). But after a few more lessons if she won't go then we might haft to use a crop like I haft to do when I jump.

newrider.com