Beginner - keeping the horse trotting/leg aids

I’m having the same problem my horse won’t keep going in trot or walk all the way around no matter how hard I try and I feel like I’m doing things wrong even though I’m being told I’m doing fine it cuts corners etc and I constantly have to kick n kick x

This is a very old thread.
If you are a new rider, this is a question you need to ask your teacher. At my first riding school I was told that the horses were trained not to move forward unless you used your leg. This isnt the way I now ride but it was thought safer for beginners.
If the RI says you are doing it right, than believe her. She knows the horse.
The cutting of corners will happen if you let the horse's head turn inwards. You may be looking inwards to. Control the angle of the head with your outside rein. Dont pull on the rein as that will stop the horse.
As you ride round the corner, try po picture what the horse has to do. Its outside legs have to take bigger longer steps than the legs on the inside. It takes more energy from the horse so try to relax and breathe deeply. It will make it easier for the horse.

Reactions: carthorse and Huggy
A few tips for what they are worth -
1. Don't overthink things - saddle time is what you need to develop the muscle memory needed.
2. Every horse is different as is every rider - the same method doesn't work for every combination.
3. Ride with a plan, set off from the mounting block with determination and ride to the plan you have for the lesson - no horse will follow a leader that doesn't know where they are going!
4, Listen to your instructor and ask questions to clarify ANYTHING you don't understand.
5. Cutting corners is combatted by holding the outside rein against the horse's neck and giving the inside rein while using the inside leg to push the horse out.
6. If your instructor thinks you are making progress, believe them - Rome wasn't built in a day!

I've been riding longer than the op but my horse is very temperamental. If she doesn't want to trot, she won't. But she canter when I want her to trot. Annoying, but she'll get the message that I'm in charge eventually.

I've been riding longer than the op but my horse is very temperamental. If she doesn't want to trot, she won't. But she canter when I want her to trot. Annoying, but she'll get the message that I'm in charge eventually.
I'll swap you! Mine trots when I want him to canter!

I am sure it will get better with more practice. Make sure first of all that your seat is correctly positioned - your pelvis I mean. If your legs are slipping forwards it COULD be because you are not sitting quite right. Think of sitting on the horse as though you were standing up. Imagine that if the horse were to suddenly disappear from beneath you that you would land perfectly balanced on with your legs apart and on your feet. That is how you should be sitting. When you rise to the trot your pelvis must stay in that same sort of angle / position when you come down into the saddle again - and use your leg on the downward movement - not on the up

newrider.com