beginner

Get help. I hope you're keeping it at a good livery yard with and experienced yard owner who is willing to help you because a rescue is a far from ideal introduction to horses. Why did you get the horse, and why is it a rescue?

I'd second seeking help, as a beginner it could be quite a challenge helping a rescue through their recovery, even just feeding up a starved horse can cause very serious medical problems if done wrong so it's really essential that you know what you are dealing with and what you are doing or have help that does. If it's an abused horse you could be putting yourself at serious risk if you don't know how to deal with it properly. Generally speaking it is always best for a beginner to learn for a horse that is known to be very experienced and steady.

Yes another who would seek help. I needed LOTS of help with my first horse - and she was not a rescue, she was young but I enlisted the help of my RI at least twice a week. It's a recipe for disaster otherwise. I dread to think if I'd not had that kind of backup.

Young or old horse, doesn't matter. Try to find a friendly helpful yard to keep him/her, and find a good experienced person to guide you both. From my own experience, those things are invaluable. Good luck!

newrider.com