behind the movement?

izo

Feb 23, 2008
hi everyone, i have just started getting back into riding :) (first lesson in years last night!! yay) apparantly i was 'behind the movement' in my rising trot, and my instucter told me to shorten my reins to bring my shoulders forward and get my legs into position, which all worked but then the horse objected to my reins being so short and then started snatching her head/reins ..that was the end of the advice.. (we where in a group lesson!!) i got none on how to stop her snatching her head back, i was concious of trying not to have hard hands and pulling on her mouth, so has anyone got any advice on what i can try next week? thanks so much!!

on a light(er) note, can anyone tell me why i have left it sooooo long to get back into the saddle ;) ..i am buzzzzing!!! :D

thanks again x

hello ..is this in the wrong section? if it is ..sorry is there anyway i can move it or do i just post twice? thanks

Last edited:
Hi there,

Seeing as no one else has answered you yet...

If you started out with contact & a happy horse, I suggest your RI meant shortening your reins without tightening them - meaning your hand, along with shoulders would need to be a little more forward.

If your reins were initially loose & no contact(the way I choose to ride most often), perhaps your horse objected to any contact? Perhaps he has a tooth or bit issue, or perhaps he's learned to do this because people have held him too tightly & not taught him how to yield to it & keep the contact. Perhaps he's a RS horse who's learned how to deal with novices?

Have a look at the 'Kinder Way' section on the main NR site.

You're probably fighting against the saddle which won't be helping you ... if the stirrup bars don't allow you to sit naturally (without fighting them) in a shoulder/hip/heel line then you will have to hoik yourself up into the rise which will mean that you can't control the sit as well so will get out of sync.

In rising trot your upper body should be inclined slightly forward, you shouldn't be sitting up straight, and the rise is actually a forwards and backwards movement in an arc with your hips. Your head shouldn't bob up and down and your legs should be able to stay still.

Your upper arms should hang beside your body with your hands being held about your belly button level (although this will change depending on the horse and your physique). Asking you to shorten your reins to bring your shoulders forwards seems a bit of a strange correction to me! I'll try and find a photo that I've seen of Anja Beran to demonstrate what the correct position of the body should be in rising trot.

newrider.com