Benefits of not being able to ride/play

annareeves0

Dec 18, 2007
Bournemouth, Dorset
Rosie has a suspected abscess - had the vet out Thursday, couldnt find anything despite much poking and paring so have been hot poulticing since and will call vet out again today. Rosie is quite happy now she has some bute and is cantering around and hopping the fences as always.

However, despite not being in pain, I am sure she appreciates that her foot isnt right and Im trying to fix it. She has just been soooo chilled out and amenable about the whole process. I have been using foot in bucket time (daily soak) to scratch ears and belly and it has all been calm, organised and efficient (OK a little bit of me is secretely enjoying being vet nurse!)

Yesterday I had her foot resting on my knee while I did my stuff and poor old Rosie nearly fell over as she was on three legs and started nodding off - you cant get much more chilled than that! Sometimes being forced to do nothing can be a positive thing. I am sure if I hadnt not ridden her we would never have built this bond in the first place, and now not riding for a week has made me realsie I havent been putting in enough quality time and need to slow down. Every cloud has a silver lining :D

Its suprising how "busy" we get round our equinnes isn't it?Nows the time for plenty of Freindly Game and to read that book you never have time to get round to (If you can stop her turnig the pages that is!;))Main thing is to remember not to neglect it when things return to normal:)

You are quite right there, I spent 6 weeks on the floor with Busbys head in my lap in 2004. He had strangles and copd and laminitus at the same time.

I spent hours lifting his head for his sloppy soup and water. We did so much grooming and touching everywhere. Builds a great foundation and bond for the future. I was there till 12pm and back at 4 or 5am. Little guy knows I willl never let anything bad happen to him and we never have issues with him being scared of anything.

I have just spent a few weeks reading in his field from 2-4pm everyday, due to not being able to ride. Keeps our minds ticking over re-reading old books too.

Good luck with vet today.:)

ETA It was so funny when he was dreaming and whinnying and moving his feet as well. We experience so much in those times.

newrider.com