Best and Worst Bits of Horse Ownership?

Having the get up early, having to go up on xmas day, if your me then having to take up barrels of water everyday, getting stood on and kicked,lol

Worst bits:

Getting up on cold dark mornings to muck out/turn out before work. Going back later in the dark to catch/bed down for the night.

Removing wet/frozen/muddy rugs on cold dark nights, specially trying to undo muddy clips and buckles with frozen hands.

Having to force them out into the field when they don't wanna go.

Owning a grey in winter. In fact anything to do with horse ownership in winter... :D

Best bits:

Being able to tell your horse all your problems without being judged. Knowing they'll always be pleased to see you (as long as you have plenty of carrots/apples/treats on you).

In summer, knowing your grey is now the most stunning horse on the yard instead of being the disgraceful embarrassment s/he is in muddy winter coat.

Summer - all fun and hardly any work! :D

There are no bad bits!!!! Ok, will take off the rose tinted specs now......Honestly, I don't think there is much that I don't like! (Apart from summer turnout after a winter in the school - see my other thread!).
Only low points I've experienced have been when the horses have been ill - the worry when one of them ended up in the horse hospital and such - very stressful.
Got to say the best bit - THAT DELICIOUS SMELL of course!!!!!!! Its both comforting and exciting - I love a good horsey sniff!!!!

Bad bits

The cost alone - shoes,stables,feed beddin every month or so
the fear of vet bills!
muddy wet rugs in winter
winter in general/mud fever if ** unlucky no decent grazing dark at 4pm
if you want to go on holiday findin someone you trust to look after your horse or pay a wack for full livery.

Good bits

stables is somewhere to go and get away from it all also good way to meet people with similar interests
your horse is always there for you :)
Its not like a riding school where you have your fav then someone else comes along and takes it out lol
You can spend as long as you like with your horse
you can make sure its being looked after best as poss (iv seen some poor states)
You can compete and go out and about its not up to anyone else

x

Is it wrong that the bad bits aren't putting me off?!

I'm a stay at home Mum, who is usually up by 8am so the early mornings/after work issues don't pertain to me.

The holiday thing is a good point though. You do have some element of freedom in not owning a horse so you can go away for a weekend.

After spending a day with Jas in glorious sunshine just grooming, tidying her up taking to her and getting a fussing from her the bad bits have melted away!

I am sure I have had to wade through mud in freezing weather to have a pricey winter field pet but hey... once the sun comes out the costs and worries vanish!

Last edited:
bad bits have to be the cost.

I once had a wardrobe full of Karen Millen clothes and shoes, beautiful nails and my hair shone. I WAS SODDEN MISREABLE.

I still have the clothes they never get worn now, my nails are always dirty, I baddly dye my own hair. I AM SO HAPPY NOW

Have to say I hate mucking out I would rather be riding, a bad ride is better then no ride.

But for those 3 months when he is in a night, it's not that bad.

The good stuff the list would never end.

When your pride and joy bolts and then bucks you off, galloping merrily to the farthest corner of the school and otherwise refusing to be caught.

I am now black and blue. Hmmmmmmm.

N

good bits are like this afternoon when i took my normally spooky, nappy horse for a hack and he only napped twice. we both thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. For me, the bad bits are when they are ill. Having suddenly lost a pony to grass sickness, i cannot cope if one of my horses is ill, i go to pieces and am convinced they are going to die :(

Worst bits : Winter and the mud :mad:

Everything else far outweighs that though :D You can keep a horse on a budget if you have the right kind of animal. They dont need to cost the earth.

Is it wrong that the bad bits aren't putting me off?!

I'm a stay at home Mum, who is usually up by 8am so the early mornings/after work issues don't pertain to me.

The holiday thing is a good point though. You do have some element of freedom in not owning a horse so you can go away for a weekend.

I had a baby in january and have to confess i love getting out the house to the yard and having some me time :D as much as i love my bubba those few hours alone make all the difference xx

Worst bits : Winter and the mud :mad:

Everything else far outweighs that though :D You can keep a horse on a budget if you have the right kind of animal. They dont need to cost the earth.

This is true! I'm very lucky that my DIY livery is one of the cheapest in the area, but the day-to-day running costs are around £100 a month*. Kels has her own bank account and I transfer a fixed amount every month well in excess of that so we've usually got cash in hand for emergencies, both horsey and non-horsey.

*Which is less than I was spending on fags when I used to smoke.

bad bits have to be the cost.

I once had a wardrobe full of Karen Millen clothes and shoes, beautiful nails and my hair shone. I WAS SODDEN MISREABLE.

I still have the clothes they never get worn now, my nails are always dirty, I baddly dye my own hair. I AM SO HAPPY NOW

Have to say I hate mucking out I would rather be riding, a bad ride is better then no ride.

But for those 3 months when he is in a night, it's not that bad.

The good stuff the list would never end.

Your first couple of sentences, sooo true! The last Karen Millen item I bought, well actually it was given to me for Christmas by my mum, but before then, I can't remember! And I was a KM groupie, well for the last 15 years I think! My nails, they are chipped, more often than not, dirty (in fact I forget about them for work :eek:) but I love it all, wouldn't have it any other way.

The bad bits - when they are ill - will they be ok? Are they in pain? The vet's bills, will the insurance pay up (still waiting on that one)?

I don't mind the winter stuff, but Tia does live out most of the time, so I probably have it relatively easy.

Oh and a small thing, pulling her stable mats up and having to clean out the yucky stuff underneath, ugh!!!

Good bits, current ones would include Tia whickering to me every time I go to get her from the field, and countless others to be honest.

The worst bit:

Dealing with numpty people. Losing your ability to be spontanious and spend time away.

The best bit:

Being with your very own pony. Just amazing! :D

newrider.com