Best:
Putting on stable fleeces and giving them a goodnight hug
Feeding
Grooming
Tack cleaning
Turning out

Worst
Changing wet mucky rugs
Opening up haylage bales and trying to get haylage out without the whole bale falling apart
Putting pig oil and sulphur on feathered legs
Wading through mud to fetch in.

What are yours.....

The only thing I really really don't enjoy doing is taking the feeds out across the field to the tyres buckets. It's feed for 5 horses,too muddy to get the Barrow through without it sticking so many times its just not worth it but carrying them and wading through the mud in the dark at times is just torture and a job I really don't like!

I enjoy the rest as I'm outside and with the horses. I worked in retail for 5.5 years and will take all the outside time I can get,weather doesn't bother me. Even spending nearly an hour tonight trying to catch Bentley in the rain I still thought I'm lucky.

That does sound pretty grim!!
Just remember another one I dislike: smashing ice on water troughs - I can never seem to manage without getting wet hands.

Best jobs:
Giving Chloe her own special pile of hay on her floor - she often gets shooed away by Storm but at night, madam is content with a net in the arena, so I always seize the chance to give Chloe her own pile and watch her enjoying munching it.
I love putting down fresh straw. Love love the smell of it and (this is so sad) love watching their reactions to it if they come in. They always sniff it, then wee!lol
I love sweeping the last bits of yucky straw and hay from outside their boxes into a trug and then hurling it onto the muck heap

Worst jobs:
Because I have ocd quite badly at times checking that their doors are securely tied and wedged back can be a nightmare! Also checking the spare stable and feed room and tack room doors are closed. I have a horror of Chloe going investigating and ending up pigging out on pony nuts and getting colic or worse:eek: plus I hate the thoughts of them banging and scaring the girls during the night. Solved the problem of their doors by taking them off when the wind was up the other night, but don't do this for average wind.
Carrying water buckets with OH. We are like little and large size wise and water ends up slopped down my boots:eek:
Poo picking in the uneven part of the field - it's a horrid job cos it is so hard to get onto the fork.

best job:

Poo picking daily (obsessed with seeing a nice clean field!)

Worse job:

Filling up sacks of hay in the wind :( - the only change which has benefited me this year is the hay bales are now next door to my paddocks, and I have hay boxes so I literally stuff the hay in a sack and then empty it into a box. It's working out much quicker. Although the the new bale position is very exposed which is thoroughly unpleasant in wind and rain :(

I love almost everything apart from emptying the wheelbarrow (I have to go right across the field) and wading around in mud. I get real satisfaction from getting everything just so, freshly poo picked paddocks or fresh tidy beds make me happy [emoji14] top of my list is those quiet moments with the horses, when its calm and your both just pleased to be there in that moment, it might be grooming, riding or just hanging out :D

Reactions: Kite_Rider
Oh I miss it all so much....the only thing that really used to get me down was the mud. It made everything else so much more difficult. The happiest day for me was the first day of the long 2009-2010 winter when the ground froze and stayed frozen for ages. Frozen poo picking was my favourite :) As for breaking the ice, our Eriskay used to do that by head butting it and then slurping up the water from underneath:D

Love tucking him up in his stable at night and having a mutual grooming session with him when I take his rug off, he shows me the itchy bits with his top lip ;)

Love all the prep for making him comfy as well :)

The crisp frosty days and turning him out rug less in the snow (when it's not actually pelting it down lol) and watching him go nuts rolling and galloping about :D

Hate the wind smacking me with the mucking out in the barrow, also the deep mud. Other than that winter doesn't bother me :)

We have a bucket in the school we put any droppings in while riding, its a busy yard so its a large trug and is a horror to empty when its full! Heavy, sloppy and very very stinky!!

Moving hay is also horrible as you get covered in the stuff!! Also standing up the porta loo after a windy night isn't very enjoyable!

I like everything else I can think of :)

I think I enjoy most yard jobs ! saddo that I am, generally the worst part when I was grooming a few moons ago was dealing with liveries rude horses lol

I pig oil ales legs using an old spray bottle and a hairbrush, quick and easy and works really well

I'm another who loves a tidy paddock and bed. :) I don't really mind any winter jobs although I hate the cold, just wrap myself up snug and get on with it. My most treasured memories are winter, crisp frosty morning rides and warm pony breath billowing in steamy plumes, just love it.

Reactions: Jessey and Trewsers
newrider.com