Best books (historical or modern) on true "classical dressage"

Scarlett 001

Sep 16, 2003
All the talk of true classical dressage on the rollkur thread has made me want to read more on classical dressage. I realize more and more I am not actually that attracted by the big paces in the modern dressage competitions at all, but more by the understated, simplicity of classical dressage - the training sessions (not the show) I attended in Vienna (Spanish Riding School) did not look at flashy or huge-paced in scope - what struck me was the apparent ease, comfort and simplicity in movement. I felt attracted by this, and it made me think that this style of riding was something my horse and I can aspire to (we'll never be able to be big flashy movers - and I don't want us to be anyhow).

This idea of ease and comfort in movement has had such an impact on me, and I want to find out more about classical dressage, its history and its current practice. Anyone have suggestions as to some good books on this topic - either training books or history of dressage books etc.?

Dressage in Harmony by Walter Zettl is honestly the best book I've ever read.
He takes you through each step of the training stages and possible problems that you might encounter

KarinUS had mentioned that one to me a while back. Sounds like it is a must-have. :)

Another vote for the Dressage in Harmony book. Have almost finished reading it now and I have found it very good. Straightfowards enough to understand but not so simple that it doesn't tell you what you'll need to know.

I have also heard good things of Training tips for horses and riders (ar at least i think that was it's name) but \i'm afraid I haven't gotten around to reading that yet.

Enjoy. :)

My latest favourite is by Anja Beran "In Deference". You can get the English version through the EE website. It's expensive but worth it. A really, really fab book :)

Most by the classical masters are good though to be honest (and addictive!).

The true Classical roots:

Everything by Nuno Oliveira
Anything by Alois Podhajsky
Xenophon
School of Horsemaship - de la Guerniere

Modern Classical
Dancing with Horses - Klaus Ferdinand Hempfling
The Royal Horse of Europe - Sylvia Loch
Enlightened Equitation - Heather Moffett *** the most accessible and practical - my bible!

KarinUS had mentioned that one to me a while back. Sounds like it is a must-have. :)
Well, yes it is! You might also enjoy his video (A Matter of Trust)
He's the best. OH and I went to one of his clinics here before (just auditing, not riding) and it was awesome!!! What a kind and wonderful horseman. Somewhat of a flirt though in person which caught me by surprise since he is an older gentleman and I've revered him for so long. If he gives one in your area, you must go. You'll find it very entertaining.
Until then, the book is a MUST READ and the video is a nice treat if you want to give yourself something for Christmas. ;)

Last edited:
newrider.com