Best boots in summer?

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
Some years ago when OH bought me my incredibly expensive soft long boots, eml warned me that i would find them too hot in summer.

What does on wear instead?

Wont short boots and half chaps be just as hot?

I dont own any jods any longer, only breeches. Should one ride in jeans and short boots in summer?

I find chaps just as hot as my boots. I wear my lightest breeches (like you, no jodhs), thin socks and my boots. Or I wear jeans and Arait short boots and ride bareback!

I wear walking boots and running tights. I do have some 'vented' chaps and some neoprene chaps but find them just as hot as long boots.

MH long boots as usual for me. I have poor circulation and summer is the only time I can feel my fingers and toes:D I do switch to thinner jodhs tho.

Reactions: Jayne
I wear my ariat grassmeres all year round. I don't think that much can keep you cool to be honest as all boots will make your feet hot. When the weather is hot, you will get hot around horses whatever you are wearing.

Reactions: Trewsers
I wear jod boots and chaps for riding whatever the weather. I wore them for trail riding when I worked in Portugal too, my feet got a bit sweaty but I didn't feel too hot! For yard work when it's warm I change into trainers.

I have cages on my stirrups so I can ride in trainers if its really hot or going to be a really long day in the saddle, but 99.9% of the time I just wear my Ariat terrain's with fine leather chaps which are def cooler than my old heavier suede ones.

Short boots & chaps. I put my chaps on just before I ride & whip them off as soon as I've untacked.

I've got mesh chaps, which are designed for summer riding - they definitely help!

Bootcut jods and short boots for me. Kerrits do some wonderful wicking fabrics for summer riding. I have also just bought two of their ventilator tops, ideal as I have to cover up after having melanoma but still nice and cool.

I just change to light coloured breeches in the summer, always long boots and yes my feet do get hot but having said that my feet get hot in sandals in the summer, so I don't think it makes much difference what boots you ride in in this heat.
I couldn't even contemplate jeans in the summer, far to hot for me.

newrider.com