Best condition class

gemsy

Oct 15, 2006
Wrexham
Hi all i am taking my yearling to a show on sat (he has been doing sooooo well, 4 shows, 7 trophies all 1sts, 2nds, champion and reserve champion!!)
there is a "best condition" class, do you think it would be worth entering him? or is the judge more likely to go for fully developed/maturer horses?
here are some pics of him, any advice and tips would be great too.
thanks
BIGASSES021.jpg

BIGASSES030.jpg

showringbig.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

enter him, you shouldn't have any issues. my 2 yr old coloured shettie came 2nd in an open condition class over some good competion - its whats there on the day and what the judge likes. Hes nice no wonder hes doing well.

I think anyone can enter them, but I'm not 100%! You should give it a go though :) He's gorgeous by the way, I'm not surprised he's doing so well!

yer u can enter him but dont do to much he is onli a baby, dont make him ring sour. please please dont take this the wrong way, but dont keep takin him out to shows when so young, yes its good to educate them, but people who show alot onli take there youngster out a max 5 times over a whole season. your pba is stunning and last thing u want to do is over show, and ruinin the horse for showing. i have a 2 yr old witch u might of seen from other threds, i have taken him out 2 4 shows since april, with large gaps, babys need time to reflect and think. pba are very intelegant horses and get bored easy, and then make up there own entertainment, you have nothin to prove on the local circuit, why keep takin him out?

this reli is not a go at u ment in a very nice way, to much of a qulity horse to do to much to soon, i won reserve champ on sunday against a hoys horse, its temptin to keep pullin him out, but i no he will get bored and sour, my next show aint till end of september which will be his last till ponies uk winter qulifiers.
x

thanks for the replies.
showingnutter thanks for your comment but i dont think 4 shows in a whole season is too much. he really enjoys going, practically runs onto the trailer and loves being out.
as it happens this will be his last show now until next year when we are hoping to go county. i understand what you are saying but i know this horse inside out and if he was showing the slightest sign of not enjoying it he would certainly let me know.
a girl i know takes her youngster out nearly every weekend and he LOVES it. i wouldnt personally do that but its her choice i guess. he is placed everytime out and really tries his little heart out, i guess all horses are different.
showing is not all we do, we go for walks to get him used to traffic etc so he does have variety in his life.
i dont feel we need to prove outselves to anyone - i dont care what people think of me or my horses, we do it because WE enjoy it, i wouldnt care if he was placed 1st or last, its a day out and the fact we have a really good bond and BOTH enjoy it says a lot.
i will not overshow him, like i said this is his last show, i also have a cob that i show too.

lol its ok, was not ment in anyway nasty way at all, it was i was told by judges at county not to keep takin him out, as he is a reli nice youngster didnt want to see him get sour thats all. :)

yeh to be honest i was thinking that myself. will just be taking him to a handful next year too, dont want to "overshow" him haha.

When judging this class I look at weight, topline, muscle, coat condition, foot condition, and general cleanliness.
I don't take turnout (ie all the "correct" kit, number of plaits, clean bridle etc) into account as usually there are best turned out classes on offer as well.

Showingnutter is right about not doing too much - there are few horses which go on to fulfil their potential ridden if they are shown a lot as youngsters. However, it is great to get them out and about and providing they do not either get too hyped up or sour, then a few outings now and then in nice weather will do no harm at all.

S_F_S thank you for your reply, so would you say you tend to go for the maturer horse than a youngster? or does it totally depend on the horse etc?
showingnutter i have no idea what county shows at the mo i havent really thought about it to be honest....probably flint & denbigh, he is registered with chaps so im not sure if they hold some shows....any suggestions?
col- thank you also i 100% agree with u.

newrider.com