Best fly repellents?

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
The flies are back already! In previous years when they got bad I could always up the speed to get away from them, but this year I am stuck in walk for the summer and they are driving me mad. I have tried most repellents including a home made remedy last year but none of them work. Has anyone got any fly repellents that they are 100% sure that will work. I don't mind paying for something more expensive as long as it is effective.

I don't think 100% sure exists for fly repellants, to some extent the skin you are putting them on seems to make them work differently.

I have success with my home made brew but it's effects don't last for hours, I find power phaser good but I can't use it daily on Jess or her skin peels like chemical burns. Deosect is great but again Ms. sensitive started having funny neurological-looking reactions to it. Most of the others seem to be much of a muchness for us, I have had good results for myself and Jess with the addition of vit B12, I take tablets and she gets brewers yeast in her feed, it seems to make us less appealing.

Reactions: Mary Poppins
I don't think 100% sure exists for fly repellants, to some extent the skin you are putting them on seems to make them work differently.

I have success with my home made brew but it's effects don't last for hours, I find power phaser good but I can't use it daily on Jess or her skin peels like chemical burns. Deosect is great but again Ms. sensitive started having funny neurological-looking reactions to it. Most of the others seem to be much of a muchness for us, I have had good results for myself and Jess with the addition of vit B12, I take tablets and she gets brewers yeast in her feed, it seems to make us less appealing.
Ben already gets that but they seem to love him still!

I use 'Smidge' on myself, it works really well for me but Im not that tasty to midges, mozzies or horseflies thankfully, plus it smells really nice too!
Belle gets a squirt of Jungle formula round her udders and along her midline, which seems to work better than any horse branded fly spray and yes it's expensive but you don't need a lot. Although when the mozzies were really bad last year, the only thing that worked for her was a fly sheet in the field and a ride on fly sheet for hacking.

Sadly I have to say the only thing that seems to work is a fly rug. At least they're easy to see up when Ramsey shreds them. Every week. Every year. The old fly sprays were more effective, but I did worry slightly when they took the varnish off the wooden back of my brushes.

Sadly I have to say the only thing that seems to work is a fly rug. At least they're easy to see up when Ramsey shreds them. Every week. Every year. The old fly sprays were more effective, but I did worry slightly when they took the varnish off the wooden back of my brushes.
Jess wears a fly rug full time in the field once the biters are out, I hate it but there seems little option as she get covered in welts without :(

Reactions: Huggy
Jess wears a fly rug full time in the field once the biters are out, I hate it but there seems little option as she get covered in welts without :(
I'm sure people already know about this, but when Ramsey rubs himself and gets raw sores (usually on his face), germoline seal and heal is brilliant - I suppose it's a liquid plaster, it keeps the flies off the wounds, and he heals up so much quicker. You just paint it on.

Reactions: Jessey
I'm glad you said the power phaser caused the skin to peel. I used that for the first time last year as some else told me it was good, but both my boys skin peeled on there sheath area.
Not found any really effective ones. I ride in my hi viz exercise sheet but when mega hot it's too much.

I'm glad you said the power phaser caused the skin to peel. I used that for the first time last year as some else told me it was good, but both my boys skin peeled on there sheath area.
Not found any really effective ones. I ride in my hi viz exercise sheet but when mega hot it's too much.
I find I'm OK to use it 2 or 3 times a week, when she really needs the extra protection, at that rate there's no skin peeling, used on back to back days and she peels up the inside of her back legs and around udder and on her belly :(

newrider.com