Best fly spray

poo-picker

Mar 18, 2008
i use coopers. it smells nice, doesnt leave any marks or residue on your horse, lasts for days if there is no heavy rain and most importantly IT WORKS!!!! you can see the flies hovering around your horse but of the few ive actually seen land ive yet to see one stay on my horses for more than 2 seconds!!!!:D its about £23 a bottle but i empty it into a spray bottle and dilute it 3 parts coopers to 1 part water to make it go further and it still works a treat!!! i would never use anything else.

Chestnutter

Aug 3, 2007
West Yorkshire
Oh that sounds a good product. My little man is not used to spray bottles, any tips on how to get him used to it? :)

You could spray it onto a sheepskin grooming mitt and wipe it on him.

To get him used to it - just try spraying around him first (use water so you're not wasting money). Don't make a fuss - then move onto his least sensitive areas - like his tail. Just try a little everyday - but in the meantime you can still use fly products by spraying onto a mitt.

Hope this helps

poo-picker

Mar 18, 2008
it comes in a bottle with a sponge wipe so you could always just pour it into a bigger one to dilute it. mine was a nervous wreck as a foal with spray bottles but B&Q do brilliant ones in the gardening section that are huge and you can lock the handle in the spray position so it gives a constant spray AND THEY ARE REALLY QUIET!!!:D I bought 2 bottles (they are abou £7 each but well worth it) and i used one filled with just water (so i wasnt wasting my coopers) to get him used to the spray and then had my coopers in the other one. i also have one for my coat conditioner/shiner as the spray is very very fine and wide so you get an even coverage with no streaks or smeary wet lines.:)

Eveadel

Nov 10, 2008
South East Essex
You could spray it onto a sheepskin grooming mitt and wipe it on him.

To get him used to it - just try spraying around him first (use water so you're not wasting money). Don't make a fuss - then move onto his least sensitive areas - like his tail. Just try a little everyday - but in the meantime you can still use fly products by spraying onto a mitt.

Hope this helps

Oh love the idea about the sheepskin grooming mit.

Eveadel

Nov 10, 2008
South East Essex
it comes in a bottle with a sponge wipe so you could always just pour it into a bigger one to dilute it. mine was a nervous wreck as a foal with spray bottles but B&Q do brilliant ones in the gardening section that are huge and you can lock the handle in the spray position so it gives a constant spray AND THEY ARE REALLY QUIET!!!:D I bought 2 bottles (they are abou £7 each but well worth it) and i used one filled with just water (so i wasnt wasting my coopers) to get him used to the spray and then had my coopers in the other one. i also have one for my coat conditioner/shiner as the spray is very very fine and wide so you get an even coverage with no streaks or smeary wet lines.:)

Thanks, off to B & Q today :)

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I haven't found any of the horse sprays much cop, I feed cider vinegar which seems to make a big difference - when riding with my friend all the flies head for her horse rather then mine (who normally gets eaten alive) I also use Super Drug's Buzz Off for kids, about £3 for a little bottle but it seems to last ages cause you don't need to put it on 6 times a day ;) and it really does work well :D