Best Fly Spray?

mlp2

Nov 28, 2007
Near the sea
Well it's suddenly got to that time of year again and the midges seem to be out in force. Last year my boy got really badly bitten on his sheath, and tonight i saw the telltale specks of blood on his back legs again.

Thought i still had a bit of fly spray left from last year but i can't find it anywhere, so seeing as i need to get some more what can you all recommend??

Midnight_Ashes

Apr 1, 2008
County Durham
Citronella oil from the chemist, mix one part of that to 4 parts water and one part tea tree oil :) Loads cheaper than shop bought stuff and much better and no nasty chemicals!

eventerbabe

Dec 16, 2004
Net-Tex stuff is good. We are plauged with flying creatures as we've a stream down one side of our field and it attracts them like nothing on earth. We also found the collars to be very effective.

stressy

Apr 22, 2009
sunderland
Isnt Avon skin so soft supposed to be good?? OT did anyone else read that apparently grey horses are less likely to be bothered by flies coz they dont like the way they taste :confused:

Libbylou

Jan 20, 2010
Norfolk and good
Isnt Avon skin so soft supposed to be good?? OT did anyone else read that apparently grey horses are less likely to be bothered by flies coz they dont like the way they taste :confused:

OOh glad to hear that, I thought about add a fly supplement to Libby's diet. Ive been usng a fly spray thats in a white bottle with green writing, cant remember the name but its made if Attleborough Norfolk.

Not keen as its VERY strong. I could smell it on her when I was poo picking the field and stood a few feet away !!

Kc Mac

Aug 22, 2008

I wish someone would tell the flies to leave my grey mare alone :rolleyes: She wears a fly rug and mask as she gets bothered so much!

Avon Skin So Soft (blue/green bottle) is excellent but is an oil based so shouldn't be used on saddle area!! I use it a lot and find it more effective than most equine fly sprays but the other problem with it being oil based it can cause sunburn on sensitive/white/pink skin :( It does smell lovely though :D

I believe Phaser one is good which i will be trying myself this year :)

mlp2

Nov 28, 2007
Near the sea
Shad never used to get very bothered till we moved to this yard, but there seem more midges here. He seems to get bitten more than his dark bay fieldmate, but i'm not sure if it's just easier to see on him:eek:

Brinicombe equine do a Think fly supplement or field lick which i might order, have had one of their licks before (but not the fly one) as they were the lowest sugar one i could find. It was quite expensive but did last for a while.

I had heard about avon skin so soft but wasn't sure which one of them it was, think i might have to have a look for that too. . . in the meantime off to see if tescos has citronella and tea tree oil