Best friend grazing muzzles

Laura+Phantom

Jan 25, 2004
Following on from my thread in cafe with my shires grazing muzzle that is too small, does anyone use a best friend grazing muzzle? I want to order one now but i'm thoroughly confused about sizing! When I measured Phantom's nose circumference it is 19.5", but when I measured the inside circumference of the grazing muzzle it is 22", but it is too snug :confused: That is a medium size.

What size BF muzzle should I get? Phantom is a 14hh new forest, i'm thinking deluxe cob...but i'm confused. that is 23" round and 7" deep, but will it be big enough? surely he doesn't need horse size? You're supposed to fit 2 or 3 fingers between their face and the muzzle...

I've got the deluxe one as the full size Shires is miles too small for my mare.

I have a similar problem with sizing as you've described. Technically the large size should fit my mare based on the measurements but the full size is too short for her face so I end up going for the extra full (used to be draft horse size - my mare is 15.3 and has no draft in her at all) to get the depth I need as she has a long head. It's a touch too big around her face but I add some sheepskin to the front to pad it out and prevent rubs and this seems to do the trick. Her previous BF muzzle lasted 3 summers before she chewed through the back webbing so it was good value for money. I've recently bought her a new one, haven't used it properly yet but it will probably come out in the next week or two.

I have one which is cob size, my mare is usually cob for everything- bridles, headcollars :) I think its fab, though I haven't used it for a while as I am now using electric fencing.

newrider.com