Best LW rug?

x.fat-pony.x

Sep 9, 2006
Am after a LW rug for when it gets cold and rainy for Spicy, but feel dumbstruck at the amount of different brands out there!
What would you recommend? The cheaper the better, but wouldn't mind stretching if it was good quality!

Weatherbeeta. I prefer the Orican Lite (no longer available in this country it seems) to the Landa Lite, but he outmuscled the former so we've got the latter now. The Orican is made from a tougher material.

I buy Weatherbeeta Freestyle rugs for the fit, but I do think they're better quality than the Masta rug I used to have and the Amigo ones out at the moment.

The Amigo lightweights/rainsheets are LUSH.

I have one in baby blue, i'll have you know. :D

I have the red amigo lightweight/rainsheet. It was about the cheapest I could find. :)

Another vote for amigo lightweights, brilliant rugs. Nice fit on my mare and fits well around the neck/withers. She does have to have a size up though.

Have also got a cheap one from ebay which is also pretty good.

My friend has a william funnel lightweight turnout which I like the look of!

i have weatherbeeta freestyle landa's but i also have rhinegold rain sheets and they are just as good as so much cheaper

I like the Amigos too. You can get a 600 denier which is v cheap, or if your horse is a bit of a rug wrecker (mine is) you can pay a bit more & get the 1200 denier which is much more robust :)

Another Amigo fan here!!
The best thing I have found is they are a good fit on all different types and breeds e.g. we have a few of them in different sizes and they fit Welsh Section C , Gypsy cob, TBs and Dutch Warmblood so very good for all types of horses. I've found though they can fit a bit smaller fit than other makes so I usually go up a size in them.
They are fab rugs though and we have 5 of them, 2 medium weights and 3 lightweights.
The new 600D one is really good value too and I like the nice new red colour!

The Saxon ones are good price too but they seem to fit Thoroughbred or finer types better and they are also not very deep so can end up looking a bit like a mini-skirt! Especially on chunkier types. My big cob mare had to give her Saxon light turnout to one of our TB's as her tummy kept sticking out!! he he!!
Hope this helps
Hannah

Last edited:
I've always gone for Shires which have been brill - never had 1 prob with them. They fit perfectly (I have 2 cobs which can sometimes be a pain as some rugs aren't roomy enough for wider horses - but shires are fab for this), they're not too expensive, have never leaked or let my horses get wet underneath, and I think they look good too.

I have a kingshead one for my boy and am very impressed with the quality- you also get a fillet string and leg straps so it always stays on him. It also has buckles at the front which is great on a chunky cob- priced about the same as the amigos too!
I always used to buy Amigos but now they won't go round my chunky boys chest but buying a size up just swamps him as he doesn't need the length! I never had a problem with the Amigo and always thought it was quite good quality.

Another vote for amigo, i have two lightweights:eek: one is orange (well yellow now its old) and the other navy. The first one is years old and still does its job pretty well. Not too expensive either:) plus they seem to fit my horse better than masta or others because she is very narrow in the chest

Shires Typhoon are excellent. Me and my friends have all got them, they fit anything once you get the buckles and belly straps right, so great for ever changing figures :D:D

For economy rugs, check out Saxon rugs - we have the full-neck heavyweight turnouts (great for minus 20!) the heavyweight turnouts with detachable necks, the lightweight turnouts and the stable rugs.

Only down side is the Saxon stable rugs are a little 'short in depth' for cobby (or fat!) horses and don't come down the horse's sides as much as other rugs.

Saying that, the turnouts and stable rugs have had 4 years use, with no damage at all, except where a nasty horse ripped the side of my cob's turnout! Nothing that a needle and thread wouldn't fix!

The Saxon lightweight turnouts IMHO, are fantastic, great value for money, not the best fit around the neck initially, - they took a bit of fiddling with to make the fit right for each horse.

Also, I have a few Rhinegold lightweight turnouts, these too are brilliant value for money, and have survived 4 years without needing a single bit of repair anywhere! Not even a tiny rip or anything - and it's not like our horses aren't destructive!! And the Rhinegolds, unlike other 'cheaper' rugs, are waterproof - Ours haven't leaked, anyway. Highly recommended!

wouldnt have another saxon -cheap and the buckles bent in a few weeks!

weatherbeeta landa light - fab rug, comes lower than the amigo and covers a bit more of teh tail/back end. Also has cross leg straps...

amigo light -fab rug - my fave, but wasnt sure how they would fit a wider chested horse as Blue is quite narrow and its the best fitting rug he has. has single strap at back that goes under tail like ona stable rug - as opposed to cross over leg staps, not sure how this will be in high winds?

Another vote for landa light!!!

I have a saxon rain sheet and a saxon 180g and find that they have lasted me well. Not leaked or broke and the 180g even managed to resist Kias efforts to trash it on the barbwire fence!!

I had masta rugs and found that Kia trashed them quite easily!!!

Nikki xxxx:D

wouldnt have another saxon -cheap and the buckles bent in a few weeks!

weatherbeeta landa light - fab rug, comes lower than the amigo and covers a bit more of teh tail/back end. Also has cross leg straps...

amigo light -fab rug - my fave, but wasnt sure how they would fit a wider chested horse as Blue is quite narrow and its the best fitting rug he has. has single strap at back that goes under tail like ona stable rug - as opposed to cross over leg staps, not sure how this will be in high winds?

I've had my saxon 5 years!:eek: and everything is still fine, no broken buckles:p Brilliant for the price IMO:)

I love JR's landa lite - bargain £25 from equestrian clearance. its a 7"6 and very generous, covers all the right bits without restricting him. its also much lighter to lift all the way up there than his old masta.

and if you like that sort of thing, it's pink! :cool::D

newrider.com