Best make of turnout rug?

Clairabel

Mar 2, 2004
Dorset
Visit site
In your opinion what is the best make of turnout rug and why?

I have always had horseware rugs as that is what I was left with from his pervious owner. I now have my own horse and I need to purchase him a turnout rug for the winter. Main reason being Midas is a Palimino :D

Horseware. No competition. I adore the Rambos and Rhinos but last year couldn't stretch to it, so bought madam Amigos which I'm hugely impressed with! Not a tear, leak, or anything. They went off to be cleaned and reproofed a few weeks ago, and if they are as good this year as last, they should last some time yet! :D

I like horseware, I tried several of the main makes when I first got my arab mare, but they all got shredded or didn't fit her properly.

They fit both her and my new cob, have never rubbed or leaked, and my oldest rambo has lasted 5 winters with no real damage so far.

Ive had a couple of Fals, i think the Cavalier and the Viking. One went missing :rolleyes: but the other lasted about 4 years (and mines awful with rugs and out 24/7), only replaced it because the naughty pony managed to tear off every strap and tear it - which is very rare because they are made of the material as bullet proof vests. Needless to say my face was :mad: They are expensive but well worth it. Its much better to have one last for years then buy cheap ones each year (in my opinion). The only problem is that they tend to rub on the shoulder, and my horse is pretty narrow so a bib would be a good idea. Theyve now merged with Slumberdown and cant really comment on the rugs now but the original range is great.

If youre looking for something cheaper then Weatherbeeta is a good bet. I bought one as a replacement last winter and not a single rip :D plus there is a good range of colours and you could replace pretty cheaply. :)

Good luck with your new horse!

Fal - nothing to compare with them for quality. Not the new slumberdown (I think that is what they are called), the new cheeper Fal made abroad. The traditional Fal are made in Northumberland. They are scarily expensive, but they are the most well made, robust rugs around - truly waterproof, breathable, wicking high tech fabrics. The outer layer is tough as can be.

I had a full wardrobe of Fal for my previous horse. When I bought my mare, nothing fitted her (16.3hh heavy hunter build), so although she got a Fal stable rug, I couldn't run to Fal turnouts :( I have found the Weatherbeta does a reasonable job, but as her turnouts need replacing (as I expect they will because they are not Fal :rolleyes: ), I hope to be able to buy Fal.

Bucas are also excellent quality, but they lack room in the shoulders.

Bucas are brilliant for TB-type builds. I got a few rugs last year from Premier International or something I think. Less than half the price of Rambo, but really well made, waterproof and hardwearing. I do like Rambo rugs but think they're a complete rip off and in my experience the Rhino rugs really aren't hard wearing enough.

Fal - you can't beat them for quality but they are priced ridiculously.

Rambo are great - the whole horseware range is great because whatever price range you get good quality - the Amigos are cheap price wise but great quality rugs. I do prefer the Rambos though, but I've got Amigo light rugs - can't beat them

Definitely Fal
They are expensive but in saying that they last for years.

Depends on the horse!

I like Horseware but they don't fit the Saff Monster (any of the models). Masta is the only one that fits her and although they're heavier than the likes of Horseware etc they seem to be pretty well made AND a lot cheaper :)

I lik the quality of Horseware but they are too narrow for Arnie (and he isn't a particularly wide horse) and rub his shoulders raw. I do like the Weatherbeeta rugs although Arnie is quite kind to his rugs and doesn't generally try to kill them so I don't need anything too hard-wearing. The one brand I'd avoid with a vengeance is Kingshead - can't stand them.

I like Saxon.It's cheap and seems good quality.

Augermoon - All the riding school ponies have Kingshead rugs.We have found them to be great.Well fitting and warm.Cheap too.What is it you dont like about them?

Showjumper said:
Horseware. No competition. I adore the Rambos and Rhinos

ditto - only have Rambos and Rhinos. They have survived three years out on the moors on all winter without sliding, tearing, overheating or leaking! And have not been reproofed yet (being done this year), even Rupert the serial rug destroyer has only managed a tiny tear in his Rambo (which I mended myself with a bit of waxed cotton) despite wearing it all winter each winter.

Samsky said:
Augermoon - All the riding school ponies have Kingshead rugs.We have found them to be great.Well fitting and warm.Cheap too.What is it you dont like about them?

I have found the quality very poor and the fit has been terrible on both my previous horses. They have always been so shallow that they dont even reach the base of the belly and are just somehow 'wrong' all-over.

Which of these great brands come up larger and smaller? Sham seems to be an inbetweeny. 5'3 too small, 5'6 too big! So either needs a large 5'3 or a small 5'6! :confused:

Fal without a doubt. yes they may be expensive but knock the socks off ALL other makes for quality, fit and lastability. you get what you pay for, if you buy a cheap rug, then expect to replace it a year later. i've had most makes in my 13 years owning horses and not 1 brand has lasted as well as fals, apart from maybe chaskits. i also have an old landsdown NZ blanket lined canvas rug and its been fab too.

newrider.com