Best online place to shop for rugs

Joyscarer

Dec 30, 2006
Hampshire
I'm after a lightweight rug that's fleece lined or minimal fill but not no fill. Needs to accommodate a large set of shoulders and high action welshie trot!

Would prefer clips on the chest buckles but MUST have leg straps rather than fillet string.

5ft 9

Any thoughts?

blazer

Aug 4, 2010
Fast Tack Direct always seem to have a good selection of rugs.
I've bought a lot of things from them (though never rugs yet) and they always deliver very quickly.
Equestrian Clearance is always worth a look too.

volcy

Cob Collector
Nov 6, 2008
E Sussex
Mays broad shoulders go well in the Mark Todd Autumner, expensive but mine has lasted forever, just finishing its fourth or fifth winter.. Fill is about right for her in most weathers so its had a lot of wear...

http://www.equestrianclearance.com/westgate_efi/mark_todd_autumner_turnout_rug/index.html

Has leg straps and front clips too.. Just make sure for wide shoulders whatever you pick has shoulder gussets as i find Fal and Shires without them too tight.

Last edited:

mystiquemalaika

Jan 7, 2013
Weatherbeeta do a light/med 100g fill,I've got a Welsh d mare and weatherbeeta fit her shoulders well if its the freestyle design,cupped shoulder darts and front gusset.

Joyscarer

Dec 30, 2006
Hampshire
Fast Tack Direct always seem to have a good selection of rugs.
I've bought a lot of things from them (though never rugs yet) and they always deliver very quickly.
Equestrian Clearance is always worth a look too.

I looked on Equestrian clearance. Might end up with a no fill mark Todd, undecided.

Hadn't thought of FTD so just had a look now. Nothing suitable but I'm going to bookmark them for future reference. Thanks

Joyscarer

Dec 30, 2006
Hampshire
I love Robinsons. Their service is excellent and I love their own Requisite brand.

Don't know what's going on with robinsons but nothing suitable in the right size unfortunately. Robinsons is always my first port of call. Says a lot that when I type an R in to search on my phone it always brings robinsons to the top of the list!

Joyscarer

Dec 30, 2006
Hampshire
Mays broad shoulders go well in the Mark Todd Autumner, expensive but mine has lasted forever, just finishing its fourth or fifth winter.. Fill is about right for her in most weathers so its had a lot of wear...

http://www.equestrianclearance.com/westgate_efi/mark_todd_autumner_turnout_rug/index.html

Has leg straps and front clips too.. Just make sure for wide shoulders whatever you pick has shoulder gussets as i find Fal and Shires without them too tight.

I love the mark Todd as i have them for Littles. The autumer has too much fill. I'm after little or no fill as she has one with fill and was to toasty last night.

I'm looking at the lightweight, which has no fill. Although it doesn't have a fleece lining, I can bung a fleece under it if needed. I just don't like layers. Its looking like a front runner at this stage though. Thanks

Joyscarer

Dec 30, 2006
Hampshire
Weatherbeeta do a light/med 100g fill,I've got a Welsh d mare and weatherbeeta fit her shoulders well if its the freestyle design,cupped shoulder darts and front gusset.

Was looking at that one too. In desperately trying to remember what full the rug she's wearing has, whether its a 100g or 150g. Wish I could remember. I think I'll get more use from a no fill and just bung something under if its not a fleece lined. I'm loathe to layer though and would prefer to find something fleece lined if possible.

mystiquemalaika

Jan 7, 2013
Titan turnout horse rug fleece lined navy blue
Sorry I can't post links I'm useless,if you type this into eBay its near the top of newly listed its about £35 with p&p it might be worth a look?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I won that Shires rug that's 100g, fitted the cob-it did look a bit like a dress think short legs!
:giggle:

But it did her ok when she had it on for about a week during that heavy rain.

Ruskii

Jun 21, 2000
UK
Or if your willing to think about the fillet string (both my rambo's have that instead of leg things and are fab)
This is in 5'9 with 40g filling

sjp1

Sep 14, 2009
Fal's are fab, and they never slip. Makes me giggle the amount of horses with leg straps that come in looking all skew wif!!! I hate leg straps having seen a horse in the field get completely bare - except it wasn't because of its leg straps with the rug dragging behind it! Tobes would go loopy on that basis - rather the rug came RIGHT off!!!

I think however that Weatherbeeta are a better fit for chunkies. Mine is somewhere inbetween slim and chunky and Fal does him well, but not sure it would do a real chunk.

My friend uses Weatherbeeta's on her welsh sec D and they fit her nicely.

Joyscarer

Dec 30, 2006
Hampshire
Its too windy for filet strings. I much prefer a leg strap with elastic.

Thanks chaps will look at the alternatives. There's a tack table top sale by me tomorrow night which I'm hoping to find something at, if not ill buy new but I'd rather get a better make second hand if I can.

I'm running out of time before I'm housebound for a couple of weeks so need to get this sorted.