Best place in the UK for renting/ buying land.

Ale

Feb 8, 2012
I know that time is fairly limited at my current yard due to it being sold for development.

I want to move Ale, hopefully eventually land some sort of fairly decent job and therefore purchase property and land (the dream would be together but seperatley is more realistic!)

I've looked around areas within driving distance of here (Surrey London border) but they are too expensive, only offer huge herd turnout on very grassy fields or extensive stabling. Also I would never be able to purchase property anywhere round here.

Although alot depends on where I can find work following uni I wondered if there are locations where land is still more widely available. I'm not sure Ale would fit in very well with large group turnout as he's very dominant so getting my own land would probably be the best option. It would also suit me more as I don't enjoy busy yard environments.

My current yard is good, I pay £160 a month for around an acre, shelter is limited and we have the free roaming Shetland which suits Ale really well.

If I could find somewhere to rent/ buy I would look at purchasing a companion for Ale. I would also long term like to offer a home for Brodie should he need it.

Any thoughts? Any locations spring to mind to look?

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
Im on the edge of the New Forest - very expensive here. I don't think I could ever afford land here. :(

Reactions: Ale

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
usual problem, where there are jobs, land is expensive, only cheap land is wales and parts of scotland but anything commutable, close to major towns forget it. Or Ireland. Or depressed areas in North East/West.

Reactions: Huggy and Ale

Ale

Feb 8, 2012
I think another option that I need to consider is finding somewhere at a retirement livery for him. I really don't think I would enjoy this though, I really love just caring for his daily. I suppose I could go back to stabling him but he just doesn't enjoy this as much as being out.

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
I think another option that I need to consider is finding somewhere at a retirement livery for him. I really don't think I would enjoy this though, I really love just caring for his daily. I suppose I could go back to stabling him but he just doesn't enjoy this as much as being out.
be careful with retirement liveries, my friend lost her grazing and sold her house and put her two horses into such a place as a temporary fix. One of them was killed there, was starved and then kicked and pts by the yard owner without consultation. Her second horse was recovered - as a welfare emergency as the haulier couldn't collect her as the yard owner had lost the passport....but was able to get an emergency movement order to take her to a temporary place, with a friend as the horse was not fit to travel back to owner. she had a body score of 2 and the one that died was 1.5......despite trying to get rspca to act retrospectively nothing happened.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: carthorse and Huggy

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
In east anglia you’re looking at £10-15k an acre if you buy multiple acres, 1 acre or less goes at ‘development potential’ prices = at least 6x more, the trouble generally is finding it where you want it. I saw 2 acres come up 2 years ago for £30k but it was 30 mins away from me so not feasible, anything that’s come up closer has been huge. 5 acre ish plots being sold are rare here. But there is land to rent, lots of farms diversified and will rent out 2-5 acre fields, and private owners will too generally but it’s a bit about knowing people or just going door knocking to get an in as they’re almost never advertised, but I found the same when I lived in Hertfordshire. I’ve got a friend in Crawley who found some lovely private yards to rent over the years.

Reactions: Huggy

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
I think you asked the same question years and years ago. I am sorry your yard is sold for development, as many are. But if you look further out in Surrey, the grass liveries get lower and lower in price. Or it can be possible to rent from a Surrey farmer. What my brother on the Council used to call horsiculture. Surrey groups on facebook can be a useful ressource.

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
If I was looking I'd probably start in the east Midlands mainly because there always seems to be a lot of pleasure rides there, the terrain in a lot of areas is gentle rolling hills, there are still places which are rural and yet it's handy for commuting with the M1 running through. Not particularly cheap, but cheaper than where you are now! Where the hound kennels are (Derbyshire) you drive through a built up area with links to mining, monuments to closed pits etc and then all of a sudden you're out in beautiful countryside. I would imagine you could get something fairly reasonable in a location like that.