Best rug for narrow chest?

If it's ripstop 600D that's still fairly tough, certainly better than normal 600D. Or do you have a tatty old rug you could put over it to take the brunt of any rough play? I know what you mean about the chest fastenings, I prefer buckles too. I once saw a rug someone had customised by sewing a flap on that went over the chest fastening and then velcroed shut so the fastenings were covered - might something like that help?

Reactions: Jessey
Last years rip stop 600 was torn to shreds so I really want heavier this time around.
If it has clips I can put a section of bike inner tube over them and just slide it back to operate them but I find it doesn’t work with the surcingle type buckles as there’s no room to slide it back.
I might order the gallop and see how it fits, it’s a bit of a faff to send it back but less than trying to modify something I think. I’m going to YHL in November so I’m hoping I can get a 100g TO or a liner there for when it’s colder, I don’t think I’ll manage without a LW until then tho.

Is there no local fb groups that have advertised some second hand rugs. If hes a wrecker i think id rather pick up some cheap ones to tide over rather than new. Im sure youve probably looked.

Reactions: Jessey
Is there no local fb groups that have advertised some second hand rugs. If hes a wrecker i think id rather pick up some cheap ones to tide over rather than new. Im sure youve probably looked.
Yep I've been scouring the groups but why is it you can never find the size you want when you're looking!?

I never found what I wanted in the price I wanted so decided to roll the dice on the gallop Trojan xtra, and out of the bag it seems ok, only bits of lesser quality was the fleece at the wither and chest straps but I’ve never had those break so we’ll see, lots of adjustment at the neck with buckles and 3 positions for the clips, 1200d, buckles seem good quality etc. Fit seemed ok too, will see how it holds up to the torrential rain due tonight!
DA3AAFDA-8D74-449B-A0D0-B181F830AD88.jpeg15EF538E-DA51-4A10-B732-76FD36565FC3.jpeg

Last edited:
Well it kept him dry in the deluge (a wheelbarrow full kind of night), the material wasn't even damp so it's very waterproof 👌

Just an update.
I’m not a gallop rug convert, apart from for this Xtra version, there was torrential rain again over night (there was dry ground where he’s stood last night) and apart from the dribbling down the neck you get with all rugs he’s still dry, it hasn’t rubbed him (he’s narrow but I have it on the tightest of 3 d’s at the neck so I think it would work for wider horses too) and it’s standing up well to their antics, apparently even laying in puddles!
748221CB-699F-4D08-B89C-9CF7F887CC62.png

Reactions: carthorse
newrider.com